Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast your vote in the IIA Net Visionary Awards, IrelandOffline have been nominated!

Options
  • 16-11-2002 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

The IIA have announced the details of nominees for their Net Visionary Awards 2002 to be held on the 29th of November.

IrelandOffline have been nominiated for the "Social Inclusion" award. The nominations were made by the IIA members .

Everybody is entitled to vote.

Voting for the awards is open to IIA Members and the general public.

Vote online at: http://www.iia.ie/netvisionary02/vote.html

* Voting can only be made via the above url
    * Only one vote per person
    * Voting CLOSES at midnight on Wednesday 20th November 2002
    * Voting is independently audited

The IIA Net Visionary Awards bear testament to individuals who have endeavoured and persevered in delivering considerable business or social benefit through the use of leading edge connected technology. They are designed to promote and acknowledge the work of professionals in these critical areas of development and operation in Ireland.

The categories are as follows:

IIA SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AWARD:

Seamus Dooley, Wexford County Manager
    David Long, IrelandOffline *
    Anne Leahy, Age & Opportunity

IIA NET VISIONARY AWARD:

Denise Dox, E-Search and IrishAnimals.Com
    Mary Mangan, ireland.com
    Sheila McDonald, ENN
    Ruairi Roddy, TCM
    Damian Ryan, Perfect World

IIA JOURNALIST AWARD:

David D'Arcy, ComputerScope
    Jamie Smyth, The Irish Times
    Adrian Weckler, Sunday Business Post

IIA INNOVATION AWARD:

John Brady, Am-Beo
    Cliodhna McGuirk, Saadian Technologies
    Niall O'Cleirigh, Macalla

IIA EGOVERNMENT AWARD:

Colm Butler, Head of Innovation Policy Development Team, Department of
    the Taoiseach
    Frank Daly, Revenue Commissioners
    PJ Fitzpatrick, ecourts

*I'd like to add that although my name appears on the form, I view this is a nomination for IrelandOffline itself not an individual. Yes my name is on the form, and yes I want your vote, but please lets have it for IrelandOffline!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Must say (before that Beecher chap says it) that a small few of those nominations seem to be highly odd - I'm not going to name any names but one or two of the nominees under "NET VISIONARY" and "EGOVERNMENT" just made me laugh and laugh. I'm sure most people can work out who my favourite two NetIdiots are (hopefully they won't win - it'll just cheapen any award that IOFFL/DLong might win).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by sceptre
    Must say (before that Beecher chap says it) that a small few of those nominations seem to be highly odd - I'm not going to name any names but one or two of the nominees under "NET VISIONARY" and "EGOVERNMENT" just made me laugh and laugh. I'm sure most people can work out who my favourite two NetIdiots are (hopefully they won't win - it'll just cheapen any award that IOFFL/DLong might win).

Completely second this. One of the names in particular had my jaw dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Everyone who votes, has an opportunity to vote in all categories, so you can to use your vote in the categories you're concerned about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

But when Mr Long goes up to collect his award he can do the mother of all acceptance speeches skhould have a nice room :)

Gwan IOFFL!!!!!!

Btw how do they stop ppl voting twice just asking.

kdja

Stickied untill the awards.

Last year, Bard took home a zeddy for the Ireland Offline Website. Lets try and rack up another deserved award for IOFFL.

It only takes a second to vote so get voting folks!

kdja, it think they just crosscheck e-mail addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the list of so called Net Visionaries is sad to say the least.

Mary Mangan for God's sake!

The e-Govt list seems more logical to me.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

so am...,
    How much are you getting if we vote :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've made an announcement.

Ruairi Roddy (TCM) deserves the vote for Net Visionary. He's a Mod here on Boards for a long time, he's behind the Examiner (which was breaking moulds while Typhoid Mary was still dreaming of Buy and Sellout) and he's also an IOFFLer too.

Anyway, I voted for Ruairi and David and Adrian Wreckler of the SBP and didnt vote for the others at all...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Muck
    the list of so called Net Visionaries is sad to say the least.

Mary Mangan for God's sake!

Must be the honorary Eircom candidate for the promotion of broadband. :)

Though at least this time the Journo list has two real journos on it. (Dave D'Arcy and Jamie Smyth)

Interestingly the IEDR is not sponsoring the Social Inclusion award this year. Though I don't think that IEDR will be buying a table for its friends this year - a doggy bag may suffice.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

IIA NET VISIONARY AWARD:

Denise Dox, E-Search and IrishAnimals.Com
    Mary Mangan, ireland.com
    Sheila McDonald, ENN
    Ruairi Roddy, TCM
    Damian Ryan, Perfect World

I don't know who the rest of them are but I'd vote for the devil to keep Mary Mangan from getting an award. I can see no link whatsoever between her and the title "VISIONARY"

I assume that this nomination isn't in recognition of her munificence in distributing all those highly prized buyandsell.net shares. Perhaps its for her great work scattering ireland.com's readership to the 4 winds ..... assuming that she is still there.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Colm Butler in the eGovernment category - one of the most visionary and effective civil servants I have come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by De Rebel
    I don't know who the rest of them are but I'd vote for the devil to keep Mary Mangan from getting an award. I can see no link whatsoever between her and the title "VISIONARY"

Nah the real reason that Mangan is included is because of the somewhat weird makeup of the IIA voters. Obviously the less clueful votes put her in there. Though on the good side, Ruairi Roddy and Sheila McDonald are there. In the journalist side of things, David D'Arcy and Jamie Smyth balance out Adrian Weckler (the Sunday Business Post computer advertising supplement wordprocessor.) At least the journo award does not have th ignominy of being sponsored by a PR company this year.

The IIA has a history of this kind of split personality. Some of its members are clueful and some only know the buzzwords. After all it did make a self-confessed spammer its CEO once.

Just thinking back on that buyandsell.net shares thing. It was not even an original idea - it was originally run in the US through some Carribean country to launch another internet operation. Buyandsell.net just copied the idea to gain publicity. It could be worse though - Mike Fagan could be up for a 'services to the Irish internet community' award.

Vote for Ruairi and IOFFL. :)

Regards...jmcc

Originally posted by jmcc
    Nah the real reason that Mangan is included is because .....................

Regards...jmcc

did u work in the same building as her once upon a time?

Originally posted by De Rebel
    did u work in the same building as her once upon a time?

No. Though it is a strange question - sort of like that n degrees of separation theory. :) Apart from the fact that I only work from Waterford (and some security consultancy work overseas) I don't think that Mangan would operate in quite the same universe, let alone building.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Done,

Need I say more?

Yours,

paddy20;)

Originally posted by jmcc
    No. Though it is a strange question - sort of like that n degrees of separation theory. :) Apart from the fact that I only work from Waterford (and some security consultancy work overseas) I don't think that Mangan would operate in quite the same universe, let alone building.

Regards...jmcc

Wasn't casting any aspersions on you!! It’s just that your initials resemble those of someone who would have moved in her circles when she was flogging big blue boxes, eons ago!

One day left folks!

Lets get voting.

Advertisement