Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donnie Darko

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Well, going off-topic a bit, I guess The Machinist would fit into that catagory.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Director's Cut. Some say it answers questions, others say it spoils the movie. Is it worth getting?

thats really stupid the way if u talk about another film in a other fims thread its considered off topic

i should stop cuz theres nothing i can do

ANYWAY.. know any other films or do i gotta create another topic lol?

i dont know man i dont wanna get it cuz of what i read and what iv been told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Now that the Directors cut is out, I assume the original will be buried?

If that is the case then the director/studio is a giant tool.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Bad idea to bury it. I'd like to have both. I have the original on DVD and I saw the Directors Cut in the IFI when they released it - and will get it on DVD. They tried to make it more understandable for the casual viewer in the Director's Cut. Adding in more quotes - the pages from the book - that "cleared up" a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

thats really stupid the way if u talk about another film in a other fims thread its considered off topic

i should stop cuz theres nothing i can do

ANYWAY.. know any other films or do i gotta create another topic lol?

i dont know man i dont wanna get it cuz of what i read and what iv been told

Again going off topic but not really as you did ask :rolleyes: , if you haven't seen it get Memento, out around 2 years, excellent film, went to it twice and saw something quite strange in that the whole audience just sat there at the end and started talking, no one left for the first 5/10 min :p . Very good film, and definitely one that requires more than one viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hated Donnie Darko, but everyone around me seems to absolutely love it...each to his own I guess!

I hated Donnie Darko, but everyone around me seems to absolutely love it...each to his own I guess!

why did u hate it dude?

i havent seen memento i think i bought it yesterday though lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

yeah definitely watch Memento its a top film and is on a par with Donnie Darko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

why did u hate it dude?
    Most of the complaints I've heard is that people think it's a bit pretentious and/or over-complicated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Most of the complaints I've heard is that people think it's a bit pretentious and/or over-complicated.

Yeah it can be considered a little over complicated in that if you didnt read "Philosophy of time" pamphlet either on the DVD or the internet then you would find it very hard to get the plot but tbh thats one of the main reasons I enjoyed this film so much.

It was left totally up to your own mind to decide exactly what happened. It was easy to find out what did actually happen by going to the Donnie Darko site. I personally think the complicated nature of the film made it better because I love a film that gets you thinking and doesnt just spoon feed you the whole story.

I think people who its over complicated are the ones who arent the sharpest tools in the shed if you know what I mean. They just dont get it and dont like taht fact and so call it a bad movie. Thats what I think anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

watched DD again 2 nights ago, and for the first time i was stoned whilst watching it.
    I tell ya, i came up wit some very deep theories on the film that night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

tell us ur thoughts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Was'nt mad about it either, but at the same time it was'nt a bad film. Liked the Butterfly Effect which is similar to DD.

garred wrote:
    Was'nt mad about it either, but at the same time it was'nt a bad film. Liked the Butterfly Effect which is similar to DD.

The butterfly effect is a stupid mans Donnie Darko really. It was ok but wasnt a patch on Donnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dub1dude

Donnie Darko was great.

The Butterfly Effect was great.

Two very distinctively different stories though.

Donnie Darko centred around the theories of time portals and he knew sorta what was going on. You see subtle clues all over the film that he sorta knows.

The Butterfly Effect centred around a man who as a child had blackouts. Medics told him to document his days to see if this helped his memory. But later on in life he discovers that reading his memoirs he can go back to the time as a child and actually change the past. This is apparently some gift passed on by his father, who was in a mental home.

So you see how the plots differ.

Granted they are about time, but other than that they are completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

dub1dude wrote:
    Granted they are about time, but other than that they are completely different.
    It was a bit more than that. Both characters/plots altered time which resulted in changes not just to them but the people around. Plots were very similar, ending was very similar but characters, story evolving, direction, etc would be different. You can't have them identical. I think its fair to say they were similar films but obviously not alike or identical. Personally I prefered the Butterfly Effect. DD was a bit too "artsy" for me. I'm a plain sausage & mash person.

• Advertisement

naaaaaaah no way it wasnt a poor mans DD in anyway

i loved both

first time like "thebhoy" said watched it stoned and i hadnt a ****in clue what was goin on ..was left oddified!.. but anyhoo prolly a month or 3 later i watched it again clear headed and it became a fav

The plots are hardly the same they differ greatly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Orange Elephant

Brilliant film the first time you see it.

I've watched it over 50 times now and I'm just bored of it.
    It stops seeming clever after the 29th time or so.

Still very good. Just don't watch it loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Kingp35 wrote:
    I think people who its over complicated are the ones who arent the sharpest tools in the shed if you know what I mean. They just dont get it and dont like taht fact and so call it a bad movie. Thats what I think anyway
    Have to agree with you there. Just before I saw The Matrix for the first time I was talking to a friend of mine about me going to rent it (this was in like 5th class) and he was saying that people called it really complex and so forth. I watched The Matrix and was like, "It's not that complicated. It's quite layered and dense sure but a little thought and you've got it pretty much sussed." I think the same goes for Donnie Darko. I think to get the full and true answer (and I do believe there is one) you must work through the website and read The Philosophy Of Time and maybe listen to some of the commentaries. A lot of work for one stroyline but very much worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, Donnie Darko has always gotten 11 thumbs up in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Very intelligent film.
    It drove me to days of wondering what it was about until one day I figured it out after seeing it around 14 times.

I still love it but I prefer to watch it only when I really want to.
    It's a much better film when you understand it!

the matrix complex??

u got a strange friend lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement