Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTS: it's not working on my dvd player but it should be. Help???

Options
  • 16-11-2002 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

My DVD player's model: SANYO DC-AVD8501

I have 2 DVDs that contain DTS sound. I have the following problem with both of them.

I select DTS from the audio menu.
    I play the film.
    There is no sound whatsoever.

I know that my DVD player should be able to play DTS sound because on my dvd player there are a number of audio-types which it will play, and you can find out which one is currently in use by pressing a particular button on the remote-control, and the name of the type of audio in use will appear on the screen.
    When I press this button, "DTS" does show up, so obviously the dvd-player has been made so that it will play DTS sound.

It plays Dolby Digital perfectly.

Am I doing something else wrong?
    Is my dvd player just faulty? (i have experienced various minor faults with the player within the last few 4 months and it is 10 months old).

Can anyone help??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Has it got built in AMP ??

Did you get 6 speakers with it?

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Does you HiFi/Digital receiver support DTS?
    Is it enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As above, the problem lies with your amplifier or receiver. It obviously doesn't support the decoding of a DTS signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

My dvd player came with 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

I assume that if the dvd player is programmed to say "DTS" on the LCD screen then it the player should play DTS.
    Am I wrong?

If I am wrong, then ultimately how do I go about getting DTS to work?

Originally posted by selling_irish
    My dvd player came with 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

I assume that if the dvd player is programmed to say "DTS" on the LCD screen then it the player should play DTS.
    Am I wrong?

If I am wrong, then ultimately how do I go about getting DTS to work?
    Yes you are wrong.
    You must have a dts decoder either in your dvd player or your amp to hear a dts sound track.
    If you do not and you select dts on the sound options in the movie menu that you are watching, you will have no sound.

It looks like your dvd player is able to output the dts sound signal, but your amp does not have the decoder.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

ok well i've just been sadly informed that i just can't get DTS on my dvd player no matter what.

now i'm off to go and cry for a couple of days. weeks. or even months. who knows?

well thanks for all your help anyway!

Advertisement