Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if dial up - who is your isp ???

Options
  • 16-11-2002 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

at the moment i am using indigo go free, crappy connection @ 19200bps. and impossible to gain access to this weekend.

so i am now on the look out for a new isp ?

who do you use ?

are they any good ?

and where can i get a cd to gain access?

thanks in advance

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

oceanfree.net or utvinternet.ie

just need a local phone number, a userid and a password to replace what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by Jessica
    at the moment i am using indigo go free, crappy connection @ 19200bps. and impossible to gain access to this weekend.

so i am now on the look out for a new isp ?

who do you use ?

are they any good ?

and where can i get a cd to gain access?

thanks in advance

J

Sounds as if you have a crappy phone line or modem or have some illegal devices sharing your connection.

Plug out everything from your phone sockets other than your modem which should be plugged into the eircom provided socket.

If that doesn't improve things disconnect any house wiring and try again.

Failing that call 1901 and report the problem. A connection rate of 19200 is unlikely to have anything to do with your ISP.

morges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jessica head over to www.utvip.com or even the new flat rate from eastbt, there is no reason to put up with per min billing, I dont know about your speed I get 44,000 with indigo or did the last time I checked! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by mike65
    Jessica head over to www.utvip.com or even the new flat rate from eastbt, there is no reason to put up with per min billing, I dont know about your speed I get 44,000 with indigo or did the last time I checked! :)

Mike.

UTVIP and other ISPs that use non local access numbers are the worst choice for people with line problems - particularly if they use a 56k type modem.

Each link (local, tandem, etc) in the chain between the customer's terminal and the bank of modems serving it introduces line errors which slow down the connection speed as one stays online. If you have an appalling line to your premises use a local call ISP until you get the line problem sorted out.

morges

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using IOL No Limits and have speeds of 28.8k with occasional speed of 33.6k. Never ever higher though it used to be faster about 2 years ago when I got my pooter first. I think my line is pair-gained. Also using a winmodem which prob is another slowdown.:rolleyes:

And until Errorcom/EsatBT (prefer the latter) provides me with ADSL I will be stuck with this poor connection speed (prob another 4-5 years) :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i still have nolimits (thank god) and just got it working with isdn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by tuxx
    i still have nolimits (thank god) and just got it working with isdn :)

sam here but without the isdn bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

I wish i could get that speed, i am less than a mile from the exchange and still get crappy speeds.

at the moment i have 41333.

checked everything no conflicts, nothing, just a dodgy indigo server perhaps ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm with UTVip and have never gotten less then 53.2Kbs. Then again as far as I know I'm only 300 Metres from the Exchange and in a new estate so there's probably feck all people on at the same time as myself. I'd love to see what sort of ADSL service I could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have nolimits with speeds of around 40k lately.It used to be a lot worse but seems to have got better when they launched netsmart.I am using a winmodem so could probarly get better.

I am happy with it now. i bet they will relaunch it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

netsmart acount 120 hours a month : average speed 44K to 49K

I wonder would there be some issue with the fact that Esat now have 2 different services, one that is €29.99 for 120 hours off peak a month and the other is €25.40 for unlimited off peak access month. Maybe there is a legal challenge there for people to get unlimited off peak like with the No Limits service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I wonder would there be some issue with the fact that Esat now have 2 different services, one that is €29.99 for 120 hours off peak a month and the other is €25.40 for unlimited off peak access month. Maybe there is a legal challenge there for people to get unlimited off peak like with the No Limits service.

I seriously doubt it, they're two different packages. You agree to the terms and conditions of the package when you sign up, i.e 120 hrs off peak for €29.99/month.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    I seriously doubt it, they're two different packages. You agree to the terms and conditions of the package when you sign up, i.e 120 hrs off peak for €29.99/month.

I know but if you were eating in a restaraunt and were having a 9 oz sirloin steak for €29.99 but the chap beside you was eating a 12 oz fillet for €25.40 wouldn't you be pissed off and demand the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It doesn't matter if I'm pissed off or not. I don't think they're obliged to offer unlimited off-peak on netsmart just because surf no limits is.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    It doesn't matter if I'm pissed off or not. I don't think they're obliged to offer unlimited off-peak on netsmart just because surf no limits is.

Don't I know it. Sure isn't the customer always wrong in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

IOL No Limits from Esat.

56K modem getting 50-52K speeds every time.

Flate rate off peak, weekdays (6pm - 8am) and throughout the weekends (6pm Fri - 8am Mon) [i.e.: I pay a monthly subscription and don't pay for my Internet calls] .

The product is no longer available, but I was one of plenty of customers whos account didn't get discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hate to say this but isp doen't matter it's the quality of the phone lines, I live 2 miles out of doengal town and get
    19-24k with eircom and utv
    9.6 with esatbt
    i.ve reported faults etc and didn't get an answer
    basically eircon have no legal obligation to give you a decent data connection if you've got one great if they run out of lines they will just compress all the others and recuce your connection speed and their ain't a lot you can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by ednwireland
    hate to say this but isp doen't matter it's the quality of the phone lines, I live 2 miles out of doengal town and get
    19-24k with eircom and utv
    9.6 with esatbt
    i.ve reported faults etc and didn't get an answer
    basically eircon have no legal obligation to give you a decent data connection if you've got one great if they run out of lines they will just compress all the others and recuce your connection speed and their ain't a lot you can do about it

Eircom guaruntee 28k at least on all pstn lines so you have an argument there :) (even thuo 28k is miserable hehe)

Demand that the line be fixed. you are entitled to fax speeds if nothing else... no matter where you are geographically located.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

if you are looking for regular dial-up per minute billing, i would go for oceanfree who are quite good and have excellent gaming pings

Number(in dublin) 2434321

Username/Password: Oceanfree/Oceanfree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

oceanfree have a number u can use anywhere in the country
    Username/Password: Oceanfree/Oceanfree

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

flamegrill

i thought most fax runs at 14.4 (class 3 class 4 has onboard buffer) anyway if you build voice over ip decent quality voice takes about 14k (thats what you normally allocate using cisco or nortel voip which is why mobiles get dropout etc cos they run at 9.6

where is this eircom guarantee about 28k cos i have never seen it - last i spoke all they have to guarantee is acceptable voice quality
    we had this thread about a year ago and somebody recommended ripping the line down to force them to fix it guess what someone took out the main line two feilds away a few days ago - made no difference

Advertisement