Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Setup?

Options
  • 17-11-2002 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hey im just looking for tweak reccomendations for the following pc

AMD XP 2200
    1.5 GB DDR RAM
    Geforce 4 4400ti
    80 GB HD
    CD-RW 48x/24x/48x
    DvD 12x
    Win XP.

Any ideas? Overclock the gfx card? The Chip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

sweet system, yeah you could probably overclock the chip with some decent cooling and messing around with the mulitiplier, just wondering how come you didnt go for at least a Ti 4600 or even better a 9700, and where did you get the cd-rw that rewrites at 24x?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Im gettin a Raideon 9700 for x-mas of santa :p.
    The writer... got it from America!! The land of the free and naked.
    What exactly u suggest i do with my pc was what i was looking for. Any suggestions? :p

Santa's well up on his p.c parts this year then :)
    Not much into overclocking myself basically as i dont know much about it.

This article may be helpful for the card though

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=267

and perhaps this could help for the processor

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/hwGuides/article.php/1009731

p.s do you shop at www.overclockers.co.uk they do some nice parts and hsf units that may come in useful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try to get the memory bandwidth raised, since this is the bottleneck in any pc. Raise the fsb as much as possible, and tweak the memory timings. Unlock the multiplier on your chip ( plenty of guides on the web, google "unlocking athlon xp" ) You may need to lower the multiplier if your chip can't handle the resulting speed from increasing your fsb. Again, don't increase the multiplier. For example:

13.5 x 133 = 1800 Standard speed

11.0 x 164 = 1800 Same cpu speed, but faster fsb, and better performance.

Your bios setup may have built in "fast" or "tweaked" settings which you just have to pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Thnx all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

there are a good few other little settings in the BIOS.
    I'd reccomdend gooling them all individually for an explanation of what they do then set them accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭mackanz

If you have one of the new KT400 motherboards, you dont have to unlock that cpu.

What motherboard do you have?

Tell us what temperature you have now at both the system and on the cpu, you should be able to find those temp readings in the bios. If it is already high, then i am afraid you wont be able to overclock that much. But if the cpu are in the 35-40c range at default speed and voltages, you may be able to squeeze another 100 or 200 mhz out of the chip.

Mac

Advertisement