Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVIP Telephony problems

Options
  • 17-11-2002 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Anyone else had telephone problems with UTVIP? I'm unable to dial some international numbers - get the message "The number you have dialled has not been recognized. Please check and dial again." I'd like to know what's going on here - I don't much enjoy having to dial London from my mobile... Otherwise, the service is excellent and a great stress reduction aid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have had limited problems with a particular local number one night (UTV couldn't trace the problem the next day) and problems with 1550 numbers which tbh suits me as I pay the phone bills. I reckon it may be UTV experiencing issues with capacity.

My cure for this is to look at the last full Eircon phonebill I received and that calms me down no end.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I think if you put a 142 infront of the number your call will be sent using the eircom network? not sure though.. It might solve your problem partly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmidgely

OK, well there is a simple answer to stop all your worries,

Look at the UTVIP.COM Telephoney FAQ

Q Can I dial premium rate numbers?

A Yes, you will be able to dial any premium operated by nevadatele.com directly. However if you want to dial any Eircom premium rate numbers (15xx) you will need to pre-fix the number with 13666.
    All calls to premium rate numbers are changed at the standard rate.

So there is your answer, Dial 13666 before your number!!

Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

My one and only fault with UTVip is ping times in games. I can see that they have tried to rectify this in fairness to them but! No matter how I try their 1 in 5 chance of hitting their upgraded / updated server (etc.) I just cant get a good ping on any server using UTVip. TBH its a bit of a let down and since I have started using UTVip my interest in Gameing has somewhat deminished! Have to say im quite happy with and I am willing to put up the rest of the teething probs. But how long is this going to go on?

OHP

Originally posted by gmidgely
    So there is your answer, Dial 13666 before your number!!

Gary

What they don't know won't hurt them or my credit card :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

13666 is the carrier over-ride code ; prefixing 13666 will send the call direclty to eircom and not Nevada ( UTVip ) - you will also be billed directly by eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

This is my major problem with UTVip. Bundling a phone service in with an internet service.

I think that Esat/BT not bundling their service is preferable. If gives people choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by Cork
    This is my major problem with UTVip. Bundling a phone service in with an internet service.

I think that Esat/BT not bundling their service is preferable. If gives people choice.

Absolutely. It is a mistake to lock yourself in.

There is a huge call failure rate on many British based networks - mobile and fixed - because they refuse to comply to the letter with the C7 signalling system and use "money saving" tricks such as routing calls via the US or Australia at various times of the day to avoid mobile and other non geographic traffic termination charges. Result: Call failure, echos, time delays causing conversation problems, etc.

Con merchants licensed by a con regulatory agency.

I have no experience of UTVIP. The above refers to my unsatisfactory experience of using / failing to receive calls from (usually) British backstreet operators wherever they operate.

If they were pub licensees they wouldn't be allowed to dilute the drink and the FSA would be after them if they used dirty glasses or cutlery. When are Europe's telecom regulators going to wake up to the quality of service fraud issue?

morges

Well received my 2nd UTVip Bill today and I'm delighted.

Yes there have been some minor problems with the service, but the customer service from them has been excellent and the fact I am saving over €100 every Eircon billing cycle is putting a big smile on my face.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Same here ...i got my first bill today and i'm saving 100 euro on
    my old eircom bill......

the best part is my wife just told me that a girl from eircom is going to call me tonight at 7:30.......:D :D:D ,i can't wait..

I'm so happy that i'm off to post this msg somewhere else.:p

• Advertisement

Bah when am I going to get a chance to roast a Eircon drone, its not fair :)

My first question would be

"How come UTVip a new entrant into the Irish Telephony market can save me over €100 per Eircon billing cycle, you guys have been ripping me off for years. I'll come back if you better UTV's offer and provide me with a rebate for all those years you have overcharged me!"

Should have a hang up fairly quickly then :)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by gandalf
    Well received my 2nd UTVip Bill today and I'm delighted.

Yes there have been some minor problems with the service, but the customer service from them has been excellent and the fact I am saving over €100 every Eircon billing cycle is putting a big smile on my face.

Gandalf.

Same here. And im saving in excess of €190+ (beleive it or not) on every phone bill so far. All I can say is im astonished!! I never thought I would live to see the day when there would be anyone other then Eircon in control of my phone bill + For a company to have such interaction with its customers and actually listen to them is totally unbeleav & £%)£!!! unbleav $))£)££(9!!! UNREAL! :p I could go on forever but I type so slow my connection keeps timing out lol.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Anyone paying the extra tenner for 1.7 cent a minute daytime net access? Is that where you're saving so much cash? I just worked out that you need to use 500 minutes a month for it to save you money. That's only just over two hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

eircom local call = 76 cent/hour so 114 euro for 150 hrs
    utvi = 150 hrs for 30 euro
    a billing period is 2 months so it would be easy to save 100 euro per billing period if u use the net alot

[edit] oops hadnt read OHP's post[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rockbeer
    Anyone paying the extra tenner for 1.7 cent a minute daytime net access? Is that where you're saving so much cash? I just worked out that you need to use 500 minutes a month for it to save you money. That's only just over two hours a week.

That daytime option is a gift. As people may be aware I'm still using NoLimits (while I can) but I'm tempted to switch purely for the daytime option.

Still can't figure out how they're making money on the tenner a month deal but they say they are - still potentially saving a lot of people money in the process

Advertisement