Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool

• 17-11-2002 6:35pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

How ye enjoyed your view from the top, you won't see it again :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Arse biscuits.

We shall see young kaids...we shall see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Kaids can read the future all of a sudden. Remember three weeks ago, Arsenal had a bad patch and lost two league games in a row. It's just been a bad week for the 'pool overall so expect to see them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We will be back! Hell 1 loss and 1 draw means we're still only 1 point behind Arsenal, while Man Utd and Leeds fall away, Chelsea are looking good as this seasons dark horses though.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Leeds fell away quite some time ago now, five home defeats in a row, I guess Venables is being found out at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

aaaaaagggghhhhhhh the game was so frustrating to watch jeezus i mean they had 71% possesion and how many amazing saves did that keeper make my god ah well liverpool will be back........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 burn-afc

Liverpool were brutal. They'll never win the league with Houllier in charge.

explain how they were brutal burn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was a good game to watch, Babbel's chance was a tough one to miss but somehow he contrived to all in all not a bad result against a resurgent Sunderland side.

Don't think they will get too many hammerings this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Liverpool were brutal. They'll never win the league with Houllier in charge.

Dont be talking nonsence,they were outstanding ,only pure bad luck prevented three points.
    While i do have doubts about the league title this year i wouldnt worry about yesterday too much.
    The main thing is they created lots of chances and do so against all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think the Pool have a chance of winning the league but I think Arsenal are a much better team. I also think it would be a shame if Liverpool win the league because of the style of their play, it flies in the face of the Liverpool tradition. I think Arsenal and to a lesser extent United and Chelsea on a good day are alot more entertaining to watch, while Liverpool seem to have gone for Arsenals old Boring Boring tag. However, that style did work for Arsenal, so it can be effective but I do not think they will get anywhere in the champions league with that style of play.

• Advertisement

I do not think they will get anywhere in the champions league with that style of play.
    so how did they get so far last season and it was just unlucky that they did not get further this season..........
    while Liverpool seem to have gone for Arsenals old Boring Boring tag.

21 chances against sunderland and only a miracle and a crossbar stopping them from scoring

over 50 chances in 2 european games and again only the woodwork and amazing goalkeeping stopped them from scoring more

so tell me how can u consider them boring??????

Johnny iam not trying to be offensive I am just saying that given a choice I would rather watch Arsenal/United/Chelsea/Newcastle then I would Liverpool. I thnk if you did a survey amongst netural fans most would feel the same way. I am a united fan but I am not saying this to try and start a United v Pool argument, I am saying it because I think it is a shame that Liverpool have broken the old traditions that made them the club that they are.

i know ur not trying to offend anyone or start stupid arguments but my point seems to be fairly obvious how can u say they r boring when they are playing attacking football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I was at the sunderland game in Anfield Rd. section - 1st time goin' to see Liverpool in Anfield, and it was 0 - 0 ;

Ah well IMO liverpool were all over them , it was frustrating that they could not score but Sunderland were playing for a draw from kick off.

Its gonna be close this year; hopefully as close as the year blackburn won; but I still think Liverpool can win it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i gotta agree with waylander on the entertainment issue.

Liverpool seem to be missing that bit of flair in the midfield and play the long hopeful ball a bit too often for my liking.

I can say it because I simply do not enjoy watching them and I will watch most football matches. I think that Houllier is too defensive. Fair enough they had loads of chances in their last two matches, one of which was a match they had to win or they were out of Europes most lucrative competition so they had to attack, and the other was against a team stuck in the relegation zone. When they are up against a top side, they sit back and soak it up. They do not even counter like United or Arsenal they nearly go long ball over the top to Owenm and he runs at the defence. I was glad Liverpool did not sign Duff this summer because i think if things were looking ropey in a game, Duff would be the type of player Houllier would take off.

You obviously do not agree with me, but as I say if I don't enjoy watching them I think that is a good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a liverpool fan I have to agree about Houliers conservative "defence first" approach, it made sence as he sought to rebuild the squad but its a policy which if not altered will be shown up sooner or later in the league just as it was in the CL.

While its true that Liverpool were unlucky not to beat Sunderland
    and indeed Basel at Anfield, look at games like Middlesboro where
    they played like a 0-0 draw was a good thing, except then 'Boro scored and Pool were caught short with less than 10 mins to go.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Must say I just love watching Man Utd play.

There's always the niggling hope that one of them is gonna cock up and concede an easy goal :]

ok pie whatever u say - yeah waylander i see what u mean ah well lets just hope that it changes soon eh

More then a niggling hope for you pie, same as it is more then a slightly apprehensive concern for me. It is at least a 50:50 chance. At least it keeps the game interesting, although having said that before the City match United actually had the best defensive record in the premiership this season. It must still be up there but you are right they never look comfortable. I would like to see a fully fit team play with Brown, O Shea, Ferdinand, Silvestre at the back. They are all pretty good and that would be a great defence in the future. Could even become like the famous Arsenal old guard.

• Advertisement

yeha it does sound quite promising for united waylander and not one of them over the age of what 24 or 25????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 burn-afc

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    explain how they were brutal burn?

Distinct lack of flair, creativity and they seem one dimensional.

I mean, surely the should have scored at least once on Sunday with all that possession they had?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

although having said that before the City match United actually had the best defensive record in the premiership this season

They had a +9 goal difference as had Liverpool, except that Liverpool had scored 24 goals as opposed to TRS 17 goals. That should improve now that Forlan is banging in the goals now!!!.

Liverpool have a plan. Like every team that was a shambles they needed to become hard to beat and then worry about adding flair to the side. Part 1 is fairly evident and part 2 is underway.

As regards TRS, well they have yet to embark on Part 1.
    I would like to see a fully fit team play with Brown, O Shea, Ferdinand, Silvestre at the back
    As a 'Pool, fan so would I. They are all mediocre and accident prone and without a decent keeper behind them will continue to get beaten by 'Pool, Arseanl and City.

It's actually quite comical watching the demise of Utd. Once Giggsy, Becksie and Keansie all wander off for pastures new they will be left with the likes of Forlan, Fortune etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

err im sure they will buy a player or two between now and then.
    or richardson and chums might proove to be better than i think atm.

and thegills, what exactly were u saying with your +9 goals bit?
    were you disagreeing or agreeing with waylander?
    if u were disagreeing then u were wrong. Liverpool scored more and therefore must have conceeded more to have the same goal diff as Man u. Which means Man u had agood defensive record.
    If you were agreeing than ignore above :)

'TRS' as you call em have already been at part1+2 and are having a bit of a hangover atm. It happens to all the good teams ;)

Watching Man U defend is torture for me, even if they become the best defence in the Premiership, for a long time ill be nervous.
    Kinda like i was against West Ham, we all know how that ended as well ;)

Liverpool have a way better goal difference but before the Manc derby both Liverpool and TRS had conceded 9 goals each - I was disputing the fact that TRS had the best defense. The point is that 'boring, non-creative, flair-lacking' Liverpool are only behind the Arse in terms of goal scored.

Don't get me wrong I still maintain that against the good sides we struggle to create chances and have been found out. I put it down to Houllier not being able to bridge the gap and also being afraid to sacrifice defensive midfielders for attacking ones.

As regards TRS buying more players, after spending stg 65Mn on three average players I don't the PLC. will be showering Ole Whiskey Nose with transfer cash.

who were the three average players then?

Actually The Gills I think United and Middlesborough had conceded less goals then the pool at that stage in the league. It was either up to the City match or up to the match before that, but I was pretty sure it was the city match. Anyway as far as that back line being average defenders go I think you are way off and I think time will prove that. O Shea certainly is not prone to mistakes, I think Silvestre has come on alot since playing beside Blanc, who is not the power he once was but he still has one of the best minds in the business. Ferdinand is quality, even if he has not fully settled in yet. Brown had a rough patch followed by a long injury but I think he will come good again.

Liverpool have conceded 10 goals, TRS 13. In the last 2 games 'Pool have conceded 1 vs 'Boro and TRS have conceded 4, 3 vs City, 1 vs. W.Ham so they both had 9 goals against before the City game.

I think you are fooling youself with regards to Ferdinand. Every team he played for has been average at the back - W.Ham, Leeds, TRS. He may be good on the ball but when the **** hits the fan he tries to play offside and if you watch him closely he always turns his back on shots. There's no way Henchoz, Hyypia or even Brucie and Palli done that. TRS paid way too much for him just because he was English.

We'll see about O'Shea tonight.

Advertisement