Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Modem Problem

• 17-11-2002 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

I ran into problems when adding a US Robotics 56 external modem to an "oldish" PC that had never been used with a modem before.
    The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-5AA with 500 MHZ AMD.

No problem with detecting the modem but could not connect properly to any ISP (tried IOL, Eircom, Esat). Sometimes it would connect but could not load any pages (or access mail-server), other times would connect and immediatly disconnect and other times just would not connect.

I have done this type of thing many, many times so I knew correct DUN settings etc.

To be sure to be sure I phoned eircom tech support and went through all the usual checks with them.

In desperation I reformatted and started from scratch, tried again
    with no luck. I removed all hardware apart from HD and video but
    still same problems.

I tried another US Robotics 56 external modem ... same problem.
    A this stage I assumed the mobo must be faulty

Final test was to try an old winmodem .. to my astonishment it
    worked fine.

I would still prefer to use the external modem .. anyone got
    suggestions as to what is the problem ?

regards
    ollie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

wheres it connected to? a com port? could be a dodgy com, just a suggestion :) hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines... could check in on the BIOS settings.
    I think the UART settings refer to the serial ports, although I could be completely wrong on that... can anyone confirm/deny that for me offhand?
    If it's that much hassle and you're getting reasonable connections on the winmodem, I personally wouldn't bother myself too much about getting the external modem working... it's all slow as p!ss 56k either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

Problem solved

I changed Settings under Device Manager/Ports (Com & LPT)/Properties/Port Settings. For Flow Control it read Xon/Xoff, I changed this to None and now works fine.

Ollie

Advertisement