Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

college

• 17-11-2002 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

i know this isnt really a PI thing, but im really confobulated about collge. i just started a degree course in philosophy english and psychology and im not really liking it. well, i am, english, lots,and i love the college and everything, but im also doing an art portfolio course and im starting to feel like id prefer to do art properly. i think thats where i belong. everyone seems to say it to me at the moment as well. anyway im so stressed out trying to do six hours art work a week plus college stuff plus work and i dont know what to do. im quitting work, but that still leaves me with the question- should i hang on to the three year course, get a degree, then start thinking about doing art, or should i drop out now, and apply through the CAO again this february?? i know that really i prefer art and its probably what im going to end up doing, but i also really like english. i dont know what to do. am i just flustered over nothing? people are telling to me wait till christmas when im more settled in,and then see, but then it's too late to get my portfolio really well done for applying to an art college. AAAHHH. im only 19, so i know there's years ahead of me, but still its all so confusing, i feel like ive missed out on what i really would love to be doing by thinking that id automatically love english, philosophy and psychology. thanks for any replies
    mia xx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think you should talk to your college... leader(?) There should be someone that you can chat to and discuss all this.

Is there any way of doing art in the same college you are in right now, can you not simply drop psych and phil. for art? I dropped some subjects I hated in college for subjects I didn't hate so much. Don't ask me what as I can't remember - they were so boring.

I then proceeded to bore myself dry and go to, and miss lectures for 2 years while in the mean time sitting at home a lot and writing songs on my guitar. I was so miserable at college my cousin suggested a completely different course in sound engineering elsewhere. I failed my 2nd year exams by walking out half way through and waited for the sound engineering to start. It was a great move but I wish to hell I had copped on earlier.

I seriously recommend you talk to a college councellor or your year leader whatever the name is nowadays.

(Oh I did psych too now that I remember, I don't blame you - it's a pile of twaddle. If I recall I did a thing called "systems thinking" now that was arse)

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

From what I hear Arts is the lazy persons way out. If your going to be working in art for sure then why are you doing the course that will be no use to you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

arts is the lazy persons way out? give me a break here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

First of all, there's no rush to make any kind of decision. As a former arts student (UCD), I know that the subjects leave students plenty of time to pursue extra-curricular activities, so first of all, breathe in and relax, it's only November. You have quite a while to think about this.

The best advice anyone could give is for you to go to the college's careers office and speak to someone who can give you advice. In my experience, the best way to decide on anything is to go very much on how you feel about a particular subject. Do you feel interested in and motivated by any of the subjects you're currently doing? Or do you still feel more drawn to doing a formal art course? Forget about what other people think you should do, what do you think you should do?

It's also important to consider what area of art you want to get into. If you go to DIT or NCAD, for example, you'll be expected to take classes in philosophy, sociology, psychology, history of art and cultural/critical theory on top of the practical work, especially if you want to do Fine Art.

My point is this: if you're serious about art, another option could be for you to get a good degree in two of your chosen arts subjects first (which are all clearly relevant to a career in art) and then for you to apply for an art course afterwards. I would see that as a distinct advantage and I've known people who have done it.

Since art is primarily informed by ideas from philosophy, literature, sociology, psychology and so on, it may serve you well to continue with your arts education to develop your critical faculties but keep the art thing up in the background.

This is, however, just a suggestion. Good luck in whatever you do decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Think I'll move this to college now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I think people are confusing an Arts degree with an Art Degree. I think that Silent Grape means actually studying say 'Fine Art' in somewhere like Mountjoy Sq. I think you should stick with the English but keep working on your portfolio during summer breaks. I know quite a few people who have graduated in Art in the last few years. Most are either seeking other careers now such as Graphic Design or have spent a year in Queens becoming an art teacher. Very few are actually working in Art and have studio's in Blackhall Place in Temple Bar. Do it the other way round and get your alternative in place before you commit fully to studying Art.

Advertisement