Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IIA Net Visionary Awards... 2 Boardsters up for voting...

• 17-11-2002 10:37pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok. Thought you guys and gals might like this:

The IIA have announced the details of nominees for their Net Visionary Awards 2002 to be held on the 29th of November.

Everybody is entitled to vote.

Voting for the awards is open to IIA Members and the general public.

Vote online at: http://www.iia.ie/netvisionary02/vote.html

* Voting can only be made via the above url
    * Only one vote per person
    * Voting CLOSES at midnight on Wednesday 20th November 2002
    * Voting is independently audited

The IIA Net Visionary Awards bear testament to individuals who have endeavoured and persevered in delivering considerable business or social benefit through the use of leading edge connected technology. They are designed to promote and acknowledge the work of professionals in these critical areas of development and operation in Ireland.

Anyway, the interesting news is IRELAND OFFLINE is nominated in
    the form of David Long in the Social Contribution area...

I think everyone on Boards knows what IOFFL have done for us
    in the past while and they could REALLY do with this vote now.

And Ruairi Roddy (TCM) is nominated in the Net Visionary area...

Ruairi is a long-time Moderator on Boards, has been agitating
    and improving the Irish internet for ages and sure as
    ****, deserves this more then some of the other clueless tossers
    he's up against... but then thats just me talking :):)
    Anyway, he's been the tech behind The Examiner for as long as I can remember
    and was doing news feeds when the others were working out what a BROWSER is.

So, if you feel like voting for someone who knows what a "packet" is that
    doesnt contain "pay" then please let me implore you
    toddle over and cast your vote for those two worthy Boardsters.

Unfortunately I cant recommend any of the others apart from maybe Adrian Weckler
    of the SBP, who at least listens to techies occasionally. Sorry ...

The categories are as follows:

IIA SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AWARD:

Seamus Dooley, Wexford County Manager
    David Long, IrelandOffline ****
    Anne Leahy, Age & Opportunity

IIA NET VISIONARY AWARD:

Denise Dox, E-Search and IrishAnimals.Com
    Mary Mangan, ireland.com
    Sheila McDonald, ENN
    Ruairi Roddy, TCM ****
    Damian Ryan, Perfect World

IIA JOURNALIST AWARD:

David D'Arcy, ComputerScope
    Jamie Smyth, The Irish Times
    Adrian Weckler, Sunday Business Post

IIA INNOVATION AWARD:

John Brady, Am-Beo
    Cliodhna McGuirk, Saadian Technologies
    Niall O'Cleirigh, Macalla

IIA EGOVERNMENT AWARD:

Colm Butler, Head of Innovation Policy Development Team, Department of
    the Taoiseach
    Frank Daly, Revenue Commissioners
    PJ Fitzpatrick, ecourts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I wish I knew who Ruari Roddy TCM was.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He's a mod here who I'm not going to name as I dont give out anyones personal details from Boards.

Anyway, he deserves it on merit alone, out of that selection he about the only one with a clue let alone "vision".

I mean, who else are you going to vote for? Mary Mangan? :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DeVore
    He's a mod here who I'm not going to name as I dont give out anyones personal details from Boards.
    He's Logic1.

Well, actually no, he's not... not really, but they both do look really scary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Heartily endorse etc etc :)

Hehe, the funny thing is voted for Ruari without knowing who he was :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ruairi, PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Normally you don't name the handle, but DeVore's not handling the name. Bizarre.

Anyway, Ruairi's is currently my boss and he's paid me several million euros to come in here and explain who he is, so...

Ruairi is the Chief Technical Officer of Thomas Crosbie Media, which is the new media arm of Thomas Crosbie Holdings. TCH owns or has shareholdings in the Irish Examiner, a number of regional and local newspapers, at least one radio station that I'm aware of, and obviously a number of websites, one of which recently won a Golden Spider for best recruitment website.

TCM designs, develops and operates the websites on a day-to-day basis, but it also hosts newsfeeds that find their way into many places, including the teletext service of one of our television stations, the SMS service of one of our mobile operators, several rather large businesses, and of course our own breaking.tcm.ie. It does all this with a staff count that ireland.com probably found hysterically funny a couple years ago. Irony rocks.

The fact that I work there is probably proof positive of Ruairi's vast intelligence or utter idiocy, although I don't think either of us have come to a firm decision on it yet. Either way, I voted for him, and he didn't even have to twist my arm up behind my back to get me to do it. Well, not very hard anyway.

By the way, I was lying earlier, Ruairi didn't pay me a penny to come here and post this. The cheap bastard.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could have just done a straight plagerising job from http://www.iia.ie/netvisionary02/cand4profile.html

"Ruairi Roddy

Ruairi Roddy is Chief Technical Officer of Thomas Crosbie Holdings New Media Company, TCM (Thomas Crosbie Media).
    Roddy has been involved in designing and implementing TCM’s internet strategy since 1997, and in the intervening years he and his team have been noted for a realistic approach to new media that has had huge success in successfully satisfying the divergent needs of consumers, staff and TCH shareholders. Ruairi says that it is this common sense approach that sets TCM apart from some of its peers who have fallen victim to the economic downturn and the slowdown in investment in technology companies. And it is this approach that has powered the success story behind TCM websites.

One of TCM's leading sites RecruitIreland.com recently won the highly sought after ‘Best Recruitment Website’ in the Golden Spider Awards. As well as RecruitIreland.com, Ruairi and his team are also the technical brains behind Examiner.ie, Motornet.ie and The Irish Examiner's Breaking News Service (which is also supplied to online.ie, iol.ie, meteor (sms and wap), TV3 Teletext).

A former print journalist and Bord Trachtala Young Journalist of the Year, Ruairi has developed web strategy for TCH companies since the Irish Examiner first appeared on the web in 1997. A graduate of DIT (journalism) and UCC (history and geography), he believes that alliances between content and technology providers will provide the strongest online offering and preaches that the simplest business plans, scaled correctly, are the only ones that can be made to work profitably online.

He is married to Avril and recently had a baby boy, Matthew. He lives in Youghal, Co Cork. "

Oh, keep Richard away from that child .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

So, are boards.ie buying a table at this do and go a whooop-whoop-a-whoop-whoop for Ruairi and David?

Full table 10 - €1,000 (£787.60)
    1 individual - €100 (£78.76)

Good luck to both of ye!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Roddy is coughing up the dough, sure! Otherwise my hard earned pennies will be going to Arthritis Foundation and the LOTR :)

DeV.

A graduate of ... UCC (history and geography)

Ah. That explains a lot...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

has he dried off yet after your lickfest Adam ?

has he dried off yet after your lickfest Adam ?

We had to get an industrial drier in.

adam

Advertisement