Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Calling all hardware bargain hunters... ***

• 17-11-2002 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good price on a external USB hard disk drive, can anyone make any suggestions where I could get one in Dublin or via the web? Has anybody here used these devices and if so, what is the performance like? Are they reliable etc.?

BTW - I have seen em in PC World(NO WAY will I buy anything from that bunch of muppets!!!)

Any help appreciated!

cheer 'n beers,
    livEwirE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well if no one else will..

/me points at the sticky saying "Cheap computer components suppliers. PLEASE read before asking "where can I buy x""

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

...well no one else seems to know much about USB hard drives here then...ah well...best try another board!

BTW sutty I checked the other thread before posting, saw some on a couple of foreign sites but was hoping I could get a cheap one in Dublin! Thx for the reply anyway!:)

/me bangs head of wall...

Peats.ie

well that was a waste of 10 seconds

oh but you will get no where near Up to 480Mbps if your using usb1 or 1.1 think more along the lines of 8Mbps or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by livEwirE
    BTW sutty I checked the other thread before posting, saw some on a couple of foreign sites but was hoping I could get a cheap one in Dublin! Thx for the reply anyway!:)

You do realise those two words don't go together?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by livEwirE
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good price on a external USB hard disk drive, can anyone make any suggestions where I could get one in Dublin or via the web? Has anybody here used these devices and if so, what is the performance like? Are they reliable etc.?

BTW - I have seen em in PC World(NO WAY will I buy anything from that bunch of muppets!!!)

Any help appreciated!

cheer 'n beers,
    livEwirE

They are a reliable as an internal drive as long as you don't drop it etc. As they are the same as an internal drive just in a case.

External drives are very expensive. You are talking anywhere from 200 to 400 euros. A USB 1.1 device is quite slow so avoid them. However SB 2.0 and firewire ones are resonably fast especially if they have a 7,200rpm drive. Iomega, Maxtor, Segate and WD all make external drives all are varing sizes and speeds so you kinda have to pick the ones that best for you.

Nearly every where sells one model/brand or the other. Of course buying them in the from the UK is cheaper. Komplett or IT Direct are as good as anywhere you'll get here. That IT shop near the Stephens green center has a few Iomega ones in stock.

I'm looking for one myself, kinda fancied a 2.5 firewire powered one myself so I wouldn't need a powersupply and it would fit in my pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I bought a USB 2.0 external case on Ebay, put my old laptop drive into it (6GB) and it works a dream for backup.

This would be a very reasonable option, even if you had to buy a HD. The model I've got is PocketBoy. It's aboy an inch longet that a 2.5" HD, and barely thicker than one (just the thickness of the plastic case).

Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I see from their catalogue that maplins do some of these kind of enclosures too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

60GB Freecom USB2.0 External HDD

282.69 excluding ship charge from www.aria.co.uk although their shipping charges are a tad high! Methinks it's £25stg

Advertisement