Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there still a monopoly on Tv

Options
  • 18-11-2002 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Not sure it I got it right but did someone post a while back that one of the condtions the odtr put in place when it agreed to the price hikes for your Tv subs to chorus/ntl was that there was no more monopoly in any areas.
    In another words I am on chorus but the estate across the way gets ntl.So if I was willing to pay to get a mmds ariel put up ntl cannot refuse me?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hmm...

Only one place (I can think of off hand) where this could happen, that is Swords, Malahide, and Dundrum where Chorus have the cable licences, NTL has MMDS.

Theoretically if you were in this situation I suppose you could go to NTL and ask them to install Multilink. It would depend on whether there was a signal in your area though. NTL won't usually provide Multilink if they can install cable though, the MMDS licences were originally supposed to exclude already cabled areas, though thats not the way they appear to be written now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Hi ICDG
    The reason I ask is because it is the same in my area(Ashbourne Co.Meath).We are supplied through cable by Chorus and the estate over the back of us is done by Ntl with mmds ariel.
    Thanks alot

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Now that is wierd: NTL's cable franchise extends only as far as Dunboyne in that direction, and Ashbourne is a lot further out. NTL's MMDS licences only cover Dublin, Galway, Waterford, and Mayo.

Are you positively sure it is NTL and not Chorus who are operating the MMDS network there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

I could have it totally arse ways but I am nearly sure Ntl have both cable and mmds in Rathoath.I will ask a mate and let you know for sure

Advertisement