Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is invovled in the physical installation of ASDL

Options
  • 18-11-2002 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭

Does it mean the breaking of walls. New cables from the the nearest telephone pole.What actual eqipmant is needed.

I have NIC card which came with the computer. ASDL uses this type of connection.Am i correct?

What i am getting at is, if i wanted to install ASDL in a house i am renting would it involve much work. Would i need landlord permission etc.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

might be better in the nets / comms board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Definitely one for Net/Comms

They find out where your first phone point is (first on the wire as it comes in the door). They replace that phone point with a larger box that contains a DSL splitter which has two sockets - one for the phone at that point, and one for DSL. They will then route a cable from that splitter box to wherever you keep the computer and stick an RJ11 wall socket there.

An ADSL modem will plug into that socket. Eircom supply two different ADSL modems - one is a USB model that plugs straight into the PC. The other is ethernet based, and you can run a cable from your NIC into it. There are many other options available, and don't let Eircom tell you that you have to buy theirs. I'm using a PCI card ADSL modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea, it's really no big deal, no new connections from the pole or anything.

Only took 10mins for mine, but I didnt need an Rj11 installed near the PC cos the PC is near the first phone socket anyway :]

He'll probably get you to install the PC software while he's doing that. Then he'll test it with his laptop, if all works... he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by PiE
    He'll probably get you to install the PC software while he's doing that.

Would you know what sort of software that would be?

/Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

The installation is very straight forward they swop your existing phone socket with a splitter and then the run a wire to your pc and another to your phone Install the Software and bobs your uncle.

If only all Telco work was that easy

The software (for the USB modem anyway) is eircom's crappy Enternet connection program, and some other stuff I can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

They will then route a cable from that splitter box to wherever you keep the computer and stick an RJ11 wall socket there.
    How pray tell would you plug an RJ-45 ethernet cable from you NIC into the smaller RJ-11 socket?

b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

How pray tell would you plug an RJ-45 ethernet cable from you NIC into the smaller RJ-11 socket?

Simply, you don't. You have an ethernet adsl modem into which you plug one end of your ethernet cable into and the other into your lans hub/switch or your personal computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by longword
    Definitely one for Net/Comms

They find out where your first phone point is (first on the wire as it comes in the door). They replace that phone point with a larger box that contains a DSL splitter which has two sockets - one for the phone at that point, and one for DSL. They will then route a cable from that splitter box to wherever you keep the computer and stick an RJ11 wall socket there.

An ADSL modem will plug into that socket. Eircom supply two different ADSL modems - one is a USB model that plugs straight into the PC. The other is ethernet based, and you can run a cable from your NIC into it. There are many other options available, and don't let Eircom tell you that you have to buy theirs. I'm using a PCI card ADSL modem.

Is it any wonder that DSL rollout is so slow in Ireland?

Virtually everywhere else DSL is a self install job. Just like a regular analog modem.

morges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by sceptre
    Moving to Nets/Comms

If this isn't a valid topic for discussion under the Ireland Offine heading, what is?

Who the f..k does Sceptre think s/he is?

morges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Originally posted by morges
    If this isn't a valid topic for discussion under the Ireland Offine heading, what is?

morges

The moderator who moved it to the most appropiate forum. :)

Originally posted by morges

morges

Who the "f..k" do you think you are? In one thread you're calling eircom & esatbt customers "morons" for not demanding self install kits and now you're telling the IoffLine mods what falls under the description of their forum and what doesn't?

Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ahh yes. ASDL install looks easy but it will be waiting a long time for it where i live. Possibly never see it where i live. Also PiE. I remenber you. You posted one story at CMEIRE and fell into the black hole that all the staff seemed to have disappeared into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Is it any wonder that DSL rollout is so slow in Ireland?

Virtually everywhere else DSL is a self install job. Just like a regular analog modem.

morges

DSL will be self install in the new year and this will take down the Price too istallation anyway

Advertisement