Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv reliability

Options
  • 18-11-2002 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

i am thinking of switching to utvip and have a couple of questions to people who are using this service.....firstly i would prefer to have a dsl service but unfortunatley thats not available to me......i am a high internet user and am currently using iol gold but still my bills are fairly high......the main thing i am concerned about is that if i switch over are there consistency issues? i use the internet mainly to download music ect......so a lot of my time online i may not even be at the computer so does utv disconnect a lot ?i am also worried at the speed at which it connects and does it maintain this speed? i currently get a transfer rate of between 5 and 5.5kbps ........i know there are many issues which effect this but id like to know how other users are getting on with the service.............

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

So far.....

1. Always connects for me first time apart from maybe 3 occasions when it took about 3 attempts.

2. Always connects at 53.2Kb/s

3. Downloads speeds of up to 6KB/s, usually 5.8KB/s

4. Has never disconnected on me

5. I believe Ping times are slow for gamers but UTVip are working on it. They have upgraded half their equipment.

6. Also half their equipment is v92 enabled and the rest will be after tests.

7. They are cheaper than the alternative.

8. You have to take their Telephony package too but they are cheaper then Eircom and I haven't had any problems yet.

9. They have the best Customer Support of any company I've had to deal with in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I've been using it since launch, here's my findings.

1. Usually connect first time. A few times i've had to reconnect a few times due to busy tone.

2. Always connects at 32 to 36 kbps. (I have never connected beyond 36kbps on any ISP)

3. Download speeds about 3 KB/s max usually (again, never got better using any other ISP)

4. Has never disconnected, except if you dial in at peak time. Then it disconnects at 18:00 because even though it is then offpeak UTVi say you would still be charged for the entire call at onpeak price.

No comments to make on the other points, except to say the price speaks for itself and UTV customised the service to suit our suggestions on this forum at launch (eg, there was initially going to be a 2hr disconnect)

I'd recommend it, though I don't use it for online gaming (at 33 kbps its a joke anyway)

Advertisement