Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - Standards?

Options
  • 18-11-2002 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

In the spirit of avoiding creating monopolies and increasing competition I suggest that boards.ie try to make it's pages valid HTML. This is a very important step for the web and it'd be great to see a major site liek this standardising it's HTML.

Wired recently moved to standard XHTML, and while that's not neccessary for boards, actually validating to some sort of HTML should be a goal worth aiming for.

Links:
    Boards.ie in the w3c validator
    The WebStandards Project
    Wired Re-Design

- Kevin, the standards evangelist
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't think this a big issue. Most people's browsers still don't comply properly with the standards. Besides, since each page is derived from combination of a php script and a template, there would have to be some serious modification of source code, and I'm not sure if they're allowed do it. The actual makers of vBulletin would probably have to do it and release it as a large hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Ah, I see.

Well I think a mail from boards.ie would be a start since it's not really much work to do, and companies like this try to listen to their customers.

IE6, Netscape 6&7, AOL7, Mozilla & Opera all are very good at supporting web standards. They have afew little bugs but other than that.

Using web standards is very important in order to ensure that the web remains open and it will also make better for people using the web, and people making it. It's a very big issue.

- Kevin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wouldn't think this a big issue.

It's not an issue, it's just wrong.

Most people's browsers still don't comply properly with the standards.

That's no excuse for web developers not complying properly where possible. Two wrongs and all that...

Besides, since each page is derived from combination of a php script and a template, there would have to be some serious modification of source code

Nah, most of the source code comes directly from the templates, it's only very low-level stuff comes from the code. It's not exactly the most rewarding job in the world, but I reckon it'd be a Good Thing.

and I'm not sure if they're allowed do it. The actual makers of vBulletin would probably have to do it and release it as a large hack.

Nah, they can hack the code to their heart's delight, they just can't redistribute it. That said, VB3 is on the way and the templates will probably be substantially different in some areas. But THAT said, only the gods know when Jelsoft will release it. The shower of ignorant tossers.

[ I run it too, and it's an excellent app, but that doesn't stop them being a shower of ignorant tossers. ]

mr bitter (the other evangelist)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Oi!

Demi-gods of boards, if you'll allow me to edit the templates then I'll try make the main one as standards complient as possible.

pm/mail me if you're interested.

- Kevin

Advertisement