Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Watch

Options
  • 18-11-2002 4:22pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Night Watch is Terry Pratchetts latest Discworld novel. It uses the second worst sci-fi plot - Commander Vimes accidentally travels back in time and has to teach a younger self the meaning of being a copper. He also has the opportunity to change history so Anka-Morpock ends up better but which will of course doom himself. (The worst sci-fi plot BTW is the Virtual Prison one.)

It's okay. I wasn't impressed with the initial plot device as it is just *so* clichéd. Of course, Pratchett has built his career around clichés but this just seems to be one too far and a regression after the last few books being a little more original. I did warm to it more towards the end and it was nice to read about Vimes again and be shown a different side to Colon, Nobby and the rest.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read the previous discworld novels. There is far too much building on previous novels for someone without a knowledge of the characters and the setting to get.

Overall, a rather mediocre work.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i didnt even know it was out until i saw it in a window in dublin at 4am friday night!

madness!

i really want to read this book soon, it's been too long for me without any pratchett :) and vimes is possibly my fav discworld character too..

spose I could always go without food for a few weeks

Advertisement