Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drummer drought

Options
  • 18-11-2002 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

i hear alot that theres a drummer drought nowadays, but i think theres a guitarist drought.i am a drummer and i cant find any decent guitarists or bassist to start a band with.and its not even that im a **** drummer cos im not.if you are lookin for a drummer or know some one who is let me know.im 16 by the way.
    spare27@hotmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

You should just stockpile drummers - you could have a stranglehold on the market... and think of the wicked music you could make with just three or four drummers and a percussionist or two...

Maybe a bass player too if you're feeling extravagant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

I must say that a few years ago (I'm not ancient yet, thank you) I found it *impossible* to find a drummer. guys/gals just didn't want to invest the money/practice/ear plugs/parental abuse into learning to drum. Maybe things have changed since then.

And even then I had the most difficulty with drummers. Guess if your in demand you can make demands.

/me ducks for cover

Ape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

There does always seem to be a drought doesnt there. I am a drummer and just about everyone I have rehearsed for has jumped on the opportunity- apart from the sad F***ers that complain "You're too loud" all the time. People really oughtta accustom themselves with how drums sound.

Point that has to be made:

"DRUMS ARE F*C*I*G LOUD. VERY LOUD. EVEN WHEN PLAYED GENTLY. AND BANDS- DONT INSULT YOUR DRUMMER BY ASKING THEM TO PLAY WITH BRUSHES OR REEDS. THEY DONT HAVE THE SAME REBOUND AS STICKS AND THE ONLY COMPARISON I CAN THINK OF IS IT'S LIKE ASKING YOUR GUITARIST TO PLAY WITH SIX D STRINGS."

Theres my tuppence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

It is actually possible to play drums relatively quietly. Ignoring the point about playing with brushes or reeds - clearly a matter of preference - even with sticks I have had drummers play quietly enough to play along with unplugged acoustic guitars and bass.

It does however take more discipline - you have to be more controlled all the time.

And as for your metaphor, asking a drummer to play only with brushes is not equivalent to asking a guitarist to play with 6 D-strings. It'd be like asking a guitarist to play with his fingers as opposed to with a plectrum. The drum equivalent of a guitarist playing with six D-strings would be to play all of your beats on the floor tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Well when I was 16/17 I wanted to be a drummer (to be precise I wanted to be Dave Grohl) but I simply couldn't afford a kit and would have nowhere to practise, hence I became a guitarist. It's just alot harder to take up the drums.

I know lots of guitarists and a few bassists - but only 2 drummers. Both of whom are in bands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Originally posted by Morn
    It is actually possible to play drums relatively quietly. It does however take more discipline - you have to be more controlled all the time.

This very true but as with everything it can take time. After all it's just dynamics. If you can get it, it'll make such a great difference to any drummers playing.

Advertisement