Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford DSL is now live and...........

Options
  • 18-11-2002 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

As it says above the waterford exchange is now live and accepting orders for DSL. central waterford only im afarid but that apparently extends as far as the waterford regional hospital, as I had my line test today and it passed first time

I also got an update on the proposed 60 euro a month BB residential connection, that according to the agent I was through to will happen but not until 2003, apprently within the first four months of next year ESAT will be offering this service to those exchanges that are already enabled

TRI

:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Tycor will be live next week, which goes a past the main industrial estate.

But remember its taking about 5 weeks for an Esat DSL connection to go through and you have to pay the installtion + 3 months up front by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

She said that it was just 90 euro and 125 for installation that was all

TRI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

yeah just waiting for it myself...

just to note that the tycor exchange also covers the greater Johns Park area :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by XbLaDe
    Tycor will be live next week, which goes a past the main industrial estate.

But remember its taking about 5 weeks for an Esat DSL connection to go through and you have to pay the installtion + 3 months up front by direct debit.

Deutsche Telekom enable up to 80,000 DSL connections in a busy week. Their customers perform the self install.

They use kit from http://www.efficient.com/ from Siemens to keep the show on the road.

Sick ESAT BT and eircom remain in the dark ages of the never ending wait.

And their moron customers put up with it.

morges

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by morges
    And their moron customers put up with it.
    Well what would you suggest these 'moron customers' do? We take what were given, scraps from the masters table compared to what the rest of the civilised world has.

Its not like the public has a choice here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

feck, I thought 256k was going to be here by xmas
    looks like I'll be on 512k for a while then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 morges

Originally posted by rymus
    Well what would you suggest these 'moron customers' do? We take what were given, scraps from the masters table compared to what the rest of the civilised world has.

Its not like the public has a choice here...

No choice?

They have a vote and public representatives to scream and shout to.

Only morons would pay over EUR 100 a month for a 512k residential service. Or 256k at EUR 60.

morges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Only morons would pay over EUR 100 a month for a 512k residential service. Or 256k at EUR 60.

I won't

the only deal I'm interested in is Irish Broadband's 512k for 40 eur p.m. if they can sort out their coverage problems

its that or nothing at the moment

(not that DSL is even an option where I live but if it was "the same rules apply")

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No choice?

OK Einstein, what would you have people who pay more than 107 per month using ISDN or Dialup to these telcos do? Continue to pay over the odds?

Unless you live in an NTL area, I assume you realise you're also a moron being kept in the dark age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

No choice?

No, no choice. We've all seen how our 'public representatives' deal with the ever increasing internet access problem in this country. Burying their heads in the sand...
    Show me a better broadband deal thats available nationwide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 steg

Originally posted by Dustaz
    OK Einstein, what would you have people who pay more than 107 per month using ISDN or Dialup to these telcos do? Continue to pay over the odds?

Unless you live in an NTL area, I assume you realise you're also a moron being kept in the dark age.

Speaking as a terrorised moron whose phone has been cut off for not paying the sum demanded within the statutory fourteen days (while on holiday), a sum far in excess of the cost of providing the typical 48k internet connection speed delivered over the billing period (well over EUR 200 for a few hours a day - a sum that would buy one four or five month's unlimited access at 512k in many other jurisdictions) it seems to me that there is something radically wrong/corrupt/illegal going on. If I got my car serviced and went on holidays not paying the bill until my return, the dealer wouldn't insist on charging me a "reconnection charge" (ie to cover the cost of a few keyboard strokes on a VDU to reactivate the account after payment is made) before accepting the car for the next service six months or so later.

Why? Because he knows I can go somewhere else for the next service if he pisses me off. ie He does not have a monopoly.

If he was the only dealer that could service my car and insisted on charging "reconnection charges" and similar action there would surely be some legal redress for abuse of monopoly?

StEg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

how does that contribute to our point?

morgas, please point me to an uncapped broadband product in the waterford area which is less then €60.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by steg
    Speaking as a terrorised moron whose phone has been cut off for not paying the sum demanded within the statutory fourteen days (while on holiday),

If the facts of the matter are as plain and simple as that, and if you were a customer in good standing and if you had a good-clean payments history with Eircom, then I think you should fire off salvos to the Director of Consumer Affairs and to the ODTR using the ODTR's complaints form. You may not have a strong legal case, but if nothing else this sort of carry-on needs to be reported in order to initiate change. Might also be worth the price of a stamp or two to send a note your TDs.

Cutting off a lifeline (which the telephone is in this era) is unacceptable.

Advertisement