Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Eircom cop on?

Options
  • 18-11-2002 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

It seems to me like Eircom are staring blankly at two companys who have put their internet related income in serious jeapordy

Why oh why have they not released a competitive Flat Rate package?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by TruckledUncivil
    Why oh why have they not released a competitive Flat Rate package?
    Because they make much more money out of metered dialup. Next question please.

If UTV and ESAT make a success out of flat-rate, eircom will undoubtedly introduce their own watered-down "flat"-rate product, with the Rat advertising it as "revolutionary" and "innovative".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

yes i no they have a monopoly on the phone lines, but why aren't they using it to ultimately cut costs, make more money and raise their shares, its crazy. They should be using their major advantages to supply the best service available in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Why would they want to introduce extra services ... the result would be a drop in their profits.

Telephony is vital and they know that people will always pay for it regardless of hom much or little they charge. Why should they generate a situation where competitors can force a reduction in prices.

I'm in no way arguing for €ircom, but its just good business practice for them to abuse a situation that blatantly favours them. Esat would do exactly the same if they were put in €ircoms position (although probably in a better managed way ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

but why aren't they using it to ultimately cut costs, make more money and raise their shares, its crazy

Eircom's current owners are only in it for the short haul, and to make as much profit as possible in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Eircom's current owners are only in it for the short haul, and to make as much profit as possible in that time.

In that case it is up to the government* via the ODTR to ensure that that period is as short as possible

* remember them, THE PEOPLE WE PAY TAX TO IN ORDER FOR THEM TO LOOK AFTER OUR INTERESTS

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're new round here arent you? :)

Welcome to our world.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Meh
    , with the Rat advertising it as "revolutionary" and "innovative".

I'll have nothing said against the eircom mouse, he's the business
    and no one forces anyone to stay with eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Also viscious rumor that NTL are thinking of buying some of the lines in ireland so your line rental would be from them as well as your bill or so they mentioned to us after we switched our phone bill back to eircom from them, but i'll believe that when i see it, just like they are meant to be rolling out cable internet connections in january

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Dataisgod

The Rat must die. I'm soooooo sick of that Rat. If this was any other country €ircon would have been fined so much by now that they'd be forced to provide a decent service or forced to completly unbundle their stranglehold on their local loops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Dataisgod

So I don't have to pay Eircom for line rental? I have a choice?

Please, tell me more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The Eircom flat rate service is very popular. I am still with them - I'll switch over to Net Smart soon.

But - People do not like the hassle of filling out forms & stuff.

Eircom are there to make a profit.

But - in the process net users are not getting a great deal.

I think Eircom are really competitive with regards to phone prices.

But - It is amazing they have not tried to match Esat or UTV with regards to the net.

Originally posted by Cork
    The Eircom flat rate service is very popular

What €ircon Flat Rate Service? They don't have one.

I think Eircom are really competitive with regards to phone prices.

You are joking right?

The Eircom flat rate service is very popular

Sorry - I meant Free Service although it is far from free.
    I think Eircom are really competitive with regards to phone prices

When you take the call charges after an options plan - they are very competitive.

But:-

Their internet package is pretty expensive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2481785.stm
    A series of reports have suggested that the UK is slow man of Europe when it comes to broadband.

if they are the slow man of Europe I think we are the dead man :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by DeVore
    You're new round here arent you? :)

Is it that easy to tell (apart from post count:))

Is it that easy to tell (apart from post count:))
    Welcome to our world.

DeV.
    Ta:P

All of the above points are valid but i still cant understand why eircom have no apparent desire to retain customers.

All of the above points are valid but i still cant understand why eircom have no apparent desire to retain customers.

I can only assume that they know stuff that we do not.

Possibly they have all the "right people" bought up & in their pocket (sound of trusty old brown envelopes rustling in the background) so they know they are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You only care about retention if you want to grow a business in the medium/long term. I'm sure that Eircoms current owners only care about short term profits to pay their enormous debt, and have no interest in running a telecoms indefinately. They'll sweat the assets to the maximum, and couldn't care less whether they lose every customer on the way as long as they maximise the return on their investment.

oh and I would make the point that as an ex (current) monopoly, they have no tradition of customer service as consumers have never had a choice. An ingrained culture like that is hard to fix. A notable exception in the semi state sector is the ESB, who have had a customer focussed approach even when a monopoly - that's the type of business that will survive in a competitive environment also. Personally even though I know quite a few decent Eircom employees, they have to carry too many muppets who would never get a job anywhere else.

"Britain has the potential to become a technological powerhouse," he said.

we're going more for the "technological sh1tehouse" approach in this country

Originally posted by pork99

we're going more for the "technological sh1tehouse" approach in this country

Yeah, England is like this big mansion but the builders are in and the loo is now an outhouse next to it called Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

ummm .. My Uncle phoned ESAT about ADSL.. and he was told that the 128K offering was 60euro ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Has Bertie ever mentioned Broadband, without relating it to Digital Hubs or some s*ite, which is feck all use to the ordinary person? At least in Blair, as much as I dislike him, the UK seems to have someone who knows the power of this technology and what it can do for a coutries infrastructure. You don't hear him going on about killer apps or lack of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I actually quite like and appreciate Tony Blair. He's hard working and aware of the importance of science and technology and especially broadband. Tony Blair is also far in excess of the thing(s) we have sitting in office. Yes he may waffle a bit but at least he does so with panache and skill.
    As far as the Eircom question goes, in my opinion they are copped on. They know the services available in Europe and the States and what they should be offering but as has been said so many times before they simply don't care because 1) They have a monopoly,2) they make so much out of dial up (& leased lines) why would they want to rock the boat by introducing new and better services 3) No organisation or person seems capable or competent enough to do anything about them 4) As has been suggested there may very well be a lot of favours and backhanders going on.
    I'll wait and see if flat rate actually happens but even if it does its still an outdated technology. Affordable 512kbps broadband is still a very long way off for Ireland in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

When will Eircom cop on?

Never.

One thing about Blair - he's Thatcher with the edges knocked off. Dangerous person, too much self conviction to be healthy (I'm a life long Labour supporter). Very polished though. Only my opinion.

I had some woman from Eircom customer service ring me the other day asking why I had left to go to Utv- after giving her all the reasons on price here between the 2 and the differences in price of broadband in other countries compared to Ireland, she told me that I would have to get used to it, as everything here is expensive! Was so shocked I couldn't tell her I have lived here for 6 years!

Originally posted by Scottish
    Has Bertie ever mentioned Broadband, without relating it to Digital Hubs or some s*ite, which is feck all use to the ordinary person? At least in Blair, as much as I dislike him, the UK seems to have someone who knows the power of this technology and what it can do for a coutries infrastructure. You don't hear him going on about killer apps or lack of interest.

Well - If i was Bertie - I would not spent 1 cent on broadband. Why should the Irish taxpayer give a gift to BT or Esat.

If there is a demand for it - let these companies make the investment.

I am glad - Bertie has not thrown money at broadband.

Cork - Are you Eircom in Disguise?

I would love to have broadband but why should the Irish tax payer foot the bill for Eircom & BT.

I am not Eircom, I am not BT and I do not know anybody connected with those companies.

BT and Eircom are big enough to roll out broadband. Tax payers should not be expected to bail them out.

Cork I would love to have broadband but why should the Irish tax payer foot the bill for Eircom & BT.

I am not Eircom, I am not BT and I do not know anybody connected with those companies.

BT and Eircom are big enough to roll out broadband. Tax payers should not be expected to bail them out.

No one is asking them to. the Irish government has created a private monopoly which is stifiling the very competition you are saying would drive the market. The technology is there, at least in some areas. Why do I have to pay extortionate amounts to a private monopoly simply because the Irish government don't have the balls to properly implement the free market they were supposed to be creating?

And one other thing. The Irish govt should have balls to do something along the lines of the following:

Take the entire telecomms infrastructure, and put it into a not for profit trust away from the control of the private eircom monopoly. this would mean maintainence, upgrading etc would fall under its remit, and would be paid for by it. Allow the not for profit to charge for line rental and more importantly, access to the network. this would provide a sustainable level of income to allow for future investment and allow Ireland to keep up. Some government subsidy wouldn't go amiss either.

the government should then introduce a licencing system, granting say 5-7 telcos a licence to operate on this network in Ireland, providing they meet certain SLAs and targets for service etc. Then it would be all about level of service and product as opposed to monopoly and frustration. By way of compensation, Eircom should be given a licence for 99 years or something.

Sketchy, I know. But it sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Cork

I am glad - Bertie has not thrown money at broadband.

OOPS!

Esats DSL rollout all over the country is part funded by the government. The fibre Rings project is funded by the government.

The government have spent several million euro (iirc) on broadband.

Advertisement