Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who can... maximise your SSIA

Options
  • 18-11-2002 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

For anyone who hasn't already heard (how could you not?) For those who can... maximise your SSIA before the budget.

But seriously though what would be considered a fair for all solution (compromise)? A cap at 150 euro for everyone or just cap those who haven't maximise their SSIA yet. I though I'd never hear about the SSIA again for at least 4 years after the final application date last April. Like Eircom this thing keep cropping up for the wrong reasons...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Paulg

The government can back date the cap if they want, so there is probably no point in increasing your contributions at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

What date in budget day?

I think many people are trying to up their contributions. But - I think - It may be futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

according to the indo
    they reckon Charlie will back date the cap, so to avoid the rush

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Im informed that the cap will be back dated to the book of estimates. Which means that I am too late to increase my SSIA :(

I hope there is a lawsuit over this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when was that?
    I increased mine in august, but didn't actually go through till octobers one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Just heard the news this evening. Hmm. Still... it's vague as hell. Nothing is solid yet but how far back can they cap it? Hard politically to take back money especially from equity SSIA accounts. It can get incredibly messy for the instuitions to sort out. That's also very sneaky since nobody was asked back in April to save with a cap. Just when the government was attempting to rebuild trust...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The estimates were about 2 weeks ago. I was told by AIB that that is when the expect the cap be back dated from.

However, I was talking to a mate about the issue tonight and he said that legally the Government CANNOT back date anything in the budget. They tried to do that before and it was proven unconstitutional ??? ... Im calling ACC tomorrow to get the amount increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

The sooner the build up to this budget is over the better. This is becoming one big Soap Opera. Charlie... tread carefully otherwise there will be a whole new meaning to Mac the Knife. :(')

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Yeah, I went to up my payments there on monday, but they said you need to give a months notice from your last payment (I pay mine on the 19th of every month, I was 6 days late!) for them to up it for you, so since the budget is on the 5th of december i may be to late! It's such a pain in the neck!
    Has anyone heard this??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by xern
    Yeah, I went to up my payments there on monday, but they said you need to give a months notice from your last payment (I pay mine on the 19th of every month, I was 6 days late!) for them to up it for you, so since the budget is on the 5th of december i may be to late! It's such a pain in the neck!
    Has anyone heard this??
    It depends on who you have the ssia with...
    I know its another web site but have a look around www.askaboutmoney.com -some f the professionals contribute
    jd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Uh...I read today in either the Sunday Times or SBP that Greedy McCreevy *isn't* putting a cap on the SSIA, but petrol is going up, as is drink, and 50c on a ten pack of cigarettes.

As I neither drive, smoke or drink that much, i'm glad they're leaving my little SSIA alone :)

Advertisement