Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad hoc network on 802.11b

Options
  • 18-11-2002 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Desktop and laptop both run W2K pro, nortel cards in ad hoc mode. When I turn on the laptop it doesn't automatically find the network, both pcs are on different channels but putting them both on the one channel doesn't help either. The only way to get them talking is to switch the desktop to proprietary ad hoc mode, then the laptop sees it, then I can switch back to ad hoc and work away.
    Anyone got any ideas why this is? or is it just the way ad hoc works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

no idea whats wrong, but I can at least tell you that's not how ad-hoc should be :) They should just find the correct channel and talk to each other. You got the latest drivers for the cards? And both are definately not in any sort of proprietary or demo ad-hoc modes?
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It seems Nortel's (maker of my cards) foray into the manufacture of 802.11b cards took possibly most of a slow week. The one and only version of the drivers that's available is version 1.1. The cards themselves are re-badged Symbol cards and Nortel support is non-existent unless you are an enterprise customer with account details.
    Might it be possible to flash the firmware with Symbol's and use their drivers? At least Symbol seem to have up to date drivers, Nortel don't even have drivers for Windows XP! If so, how is it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

just using the hardware wizard try forcing the symbol drivers into use using the "i have a disk" way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I think I tried that before but it wouldn't allow it because the card was identified as Nortel and the drivers were signed by Symbol.

Advertisement