Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Name that bridge

Options
  • 18-11-2002 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭

What bridge is this (on front of NRA website www.nra.ie)?

1-3.gif
    main_pic.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its the "new" bridge across the Shannon in Limerick, I dont know its name but the road at the far end joins the relief road around the west of the city on the northside, the Ennis Road runs parallel with it.

Any denizens of the Treaty City care to confirm?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'd say you have it there mike.. it does look like the 'new' bridge over the shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I thought it was Waterford for a sec, then I realised we should see more city in the background.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by mike65
    I think its the "new" bridge across the Shannon in Limerick, I dont know its name but the road at the far end joins the relief road around the west of the city on the northside, the Ennis Road runs parallel with it.

Any denizens of the Treaty City care to confirm?

Mike.

Haven't been back to the ould sod in a while, but last time I was there the 'new' bridge looked exactly like that, so I'd certainly concur with you there Mike.

It's down near Jury's there, by the corner of the dock road where the 'ladies of the night' tend to hang out... allegedly ;)

Used to be called the 'whistling bridge' because of the whistling sound made by the wind when it blew through it. I believe they 'fixed' it to stop it doing that. I used to live in the Shannon Banks estate in Corbally, NEAR Limerick and we could hear the whistling from there.

The following is copied and pasted from an issue of the Limerick Leader:
    Whistling Bridge

WHAT became known as the Whistling Bridge, so called because of whining noise created by high winds blowing through its railings, was officially opened by the Taoiseach, Charles Haughey in May, 1988. It was the third bridge over the Shannon and Cllr. Tim O'Driscoll, a bus driver, drove through the guests over the bridge in a CIÉ coach. There were several protesters present from the anti-extradition and anti-water tax groups and there were anglers in boats underneath registering a silent protest against the notorious rod levy tax.

There were many complaints about the noise when the winds were strong, and the whine could be heard all over the city, Nearby residents said they were being kept awake, and pupils in nearby schools complained the noise interfered with their studies.

Is it simply called "Shannon Bridge"?

[edit:] surely that bit I've put in bold in the quote is a misprint/mistype...?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yup, shannon bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I vaguely remember Charlie getting hit by an egg at the opening of that! Good enough for him.

Advertisement