Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem not hanging up?

Options
  • 19-11-2002 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,

Ive got this weird problem- that no one has been able to help me with so far. A few weeks ago I noticed that whenever Id disconnect my internet- and try to log back in (be it instantly, 10 minutes later, or a day later) Instead of getting a dial-tone Id always get a sort of a busy signal, and it wouldnt dial. The only solution was to pull the telephone wire out of the modem (which is an internal one) and stick it back in- then when Id try to dial, the dialtone would be perfect. Disconnect, and I have the same problem.

If Im online, and I disconnect- my extension phone is dead also- until I physically pull out the wire from the modem and stick it back in. It's sort of like the modem isn't disconnecting the line?

Ive tried everything from removing my phone extension to using different phone lines to taking out the modem, putting it back in, reinstalling all the drivers (its one of the usual dell data/fax modems).

I dont have this problem on my ibook- so it cant be the phone line, can it? Whats odd is that it started happening out of the bluw and has now become very frustrating :(

Thanks in advance,
    Fawad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I had this problem before but never found a cure for it. We have the Eircom Interlink system at home, lets you transfer calls between phones etc, and I always put it down to having something to do with that.

I also had one of those crappy Dell Winmodems which could equally be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Had that problem with a 3-com USR 33600 modem in a Gateway2000 machine years ago.

Never figured it out.
    Didn't mind much though, always saw it as a cheap way to protect myself from rogue dialer programs.

only thing odd about the line was the long phone cable.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

regedit

search for the hangup string normally

ath

edit it and change it to

ath,atz

2 seconds after hangup is initiated the modem will reset itself. You should then have dialtone.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

internal US Robotics/3Com Modems that came with gateway and dell PCs. came with a short cable with 2 phone sockets on it. like a double adaptor plug. this needs to be connected to the modem. with the phone line and a telephone plugged into the sockets. I know Dell niglected to ship this cable with some PCs and later posted them out. A friend got it in the post and just threw it away, then asked my why his modem wasn't working. if you have a USR/3com modem I'd say it's definatly the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I've experienced this and many other problems with my USR and other cheapo-winmodems..

Only solution I found that worked well was putting it in the bin and buying a reliable external modem..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Thanks everyone- Its getting annoying for me cos 1) My mother doesnt really like it, and 2) If I disconnect, and forget to unplug the wire, anyone who tries to ring me gets a busy tone.

Muck I tried your solution, changing the "ath<cr>" to "ath,atz<cr>" but that method didnt work..

Probably something to do with my winmodem getting old..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the only other suggestion I have is

ath<cr>

becomes

ath,at&f,atz<cr>

at&f is the more intense reset, atz is a 'lite' reset, so I am suggesting

hangup
    wait2secs
    big reset
    wait2secs
    small reset

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Hrm, that doesnt seem to work either. I probably just have a bad modem, thanks alot anyways Muck- really appreciate it!

Get a mac- It just works! :D

Advertisement