Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK] DSL for culchies

Options
  • 19-11-2002 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

BT appear to have recently woken up to the fact that it is possible to provide DSL to virtually every customer in the Kingdom at 128k.

StEg

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6308

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Please mark any uk related subjects as such steg.

The article is a bit thin. It doesnt give any details of much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you're a Big Mammy Dustaz

the Reg has it . Trials in a few months

wonder what ESAT will do with this tech?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Sounds suspiciously like Always On Hi-Speed. No way is €ircon ever gonna make hi-speed always on....

How else can up to 128kbps be delivered to 97% of population. I don't think its a DSL technology they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Muck
    you're a Big Mammy Dustaz

the Reg has it . Trials in a few months

wonder what ESAT will do with this tech?

M
    Mr Danon also announced that BT would begin trials in Spring, 2003 of an always on, 128Kbps mid-band service which should be available quickly to 97 per cent of the UK population.

What technology is in use here? some form of DSL with long range, or ISDN, or some hybrid with DSL at the back and ISDN at the front or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I found this
    Midband consists of two 64Kbps connections bundled together to create a 128Kbps channel. It will not be completely always-on, but it will provide 'always-on' email," explained Danon.

Trials of Midband are expected to begin in March or April of next year. Danon would not disclose how much it will cost, except that it will be "cheaper, but not much cheaper" than BT Broadband, which costs £27 per month. He added that BT did not regard Midband as a broadband product.

Its from this

Anyone got any more ideas on this - is it 128k ISDN "always-on but not completely always on" which is "cheaper, but not much cheaper than BT Broadband, which costs £27 per month" Voice and data at the same time?

Also interesting to see that "BT's ADSL network is only likely to ever cover 90 per cent of UK households". (Note ADSL rather than xDSL) Even allowing for high population densities in the southern part of the british landmass this must mean a range well above 2.5km from exchanges. I wonder what the corresponding statistic would be in this country, assuming of course that the copper is in similar condition. What is the theoretical limit of ADSL?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 steg

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Please mark any uk related subjects as such steg.

The article is a bit thin. It doesnt give any details of much at all.

Why? Surely you are engaging in high-end insularity in expecting subscribers to post a “geographic government health warning” in the subject line?

Aside from the fact that “UK” is not the country code for the place in question. Every Kingdom in Europe (eg Spain, Sweden, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, & Belgium could call themselves “united kingdoms”). Some might even suggest it to be an oxymoron in the case of the state you refer were referring to.

Ireland could call itself the “United Republic”. Change the country code to UR. But so could France, Germany, Italy, Austria, etc.

“UK” is a brain dead abbreviation for the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”, which has been allocated country code “GB” in ISO-3166 and in the United Nations license plate tags.

Seems to me boards.ie/IrelandOFFline = timewasting venue full of tin pot dictators. Missing the wood from the trees when it comes to the topic.

Steg exits stage left. A dieu, if anyone is left.

StEg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Sounds like an ISDN offering, using an always-on D channel. So you got about 11kpbs (afaik) always-on for email, and then 128k when you then connect the other two channels

more here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

he's after me again steg, i have posted threads like

"broadband population coverage 97% by 2003"

and then

only in the UK in the body of the message....

the mods here are pretty lighthanded unless they have to deal with muppets when they have a hangover.

always on D channel was originally 8k Regi, is it being widened in this context or are they introducing compression as well? The always on D chanel tech has been in the works for about 3 or 4 years

there is a bit more on the 'Midband' proposition as BT call it.

you may check Here

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think the request for "UK" to be put in the subject line is to avoid confusion over articles not related to the Irish situation.

It may be because the forum is called
    "IrelandOffLine" and not
    "EverywhereOffLine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

interesting getting annoyed over the letters UK...hmmm but see nothing wrong with the offensive word culchie..

please its the 21st century -- MOVE ON....

i live in the country and i dont see why i should have to accept 128 --- we live in this country, it is a country for all and we should be treated equally...

• Advertisement
Advertisement