Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meningitis

Options
  • 19-11-2002 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

I was sat in work today at about 12:45 when I received a phone call from my childminder. She was quite distressed which caused worry straight away. Eventually when she calmed down she told me that Maguel (another child she minds) was rushed into hospital last night with Meningitis. I left work immediately and rushed to her house to collect my little girl and find out more.
    When I got there she had calmed down enough to made scence. It turns out Maguel had contracted the bacterial strain of meningitis and was quite sick in hospital. I left shortly after to collect my other two children from school.
    As soon as I arrived home I phoned our family doctor. He took the details and promised to phone back as soon as he talked to the doctors in the hospital.
    My youngest child has not been immunised. Worry, panic fear overwhelmed me. I remember arguing with my ex-wife some years ago about this. Regardless, our doctor soon rang me and told me Maguel had since died, he also had not been immunised as he is from South Africa and they seem to have different policies to Ireland regarding this.
    I was given the phone number of a different doctor and told to ring him immediately and make an appointment to see him. Incredibly there was no vaccine anywhere in Athlone and some was been rushed over from Mullingar.
    I got an appointment for 4.30. When I arrived I was surprised to see several other parents waiting to see the doctor about the same thing. Apparently another child had contracted the same strain in another kinder garden. I have not yet heard how that child is.
    No real moral to this story, just thought it might made people aware and vigilant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Perhaps the moral of this story is 'get em immunised' or perhaps 'dont live in athlone'

Seriously though, I do vaguely recall something in the news about mandatory immunisation, at what age will this happen for new babies though?

Fox_in_Socks
    All the things you have to think about when you're a parent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

New babies get the Minigitis shot with thier first set of injections from your GP.

Hope everything turn out well for you Offy.

Advertisement