Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3Gb cap - 3 Hours

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think delop's post asks interesting questions, but I disagree with some of his conclusions. He suggests that Eircom's attitude towards DSL is a little apathetic. While this may have a applied to a state owned company in the 80s and 90s, I doubt if it would apply to a publicly quoted company now, particularly at a management level.

I've spoken to a good few people in the telecoms sector over the past few years and several have suggested that high prices for new services are a way of controlling demand. I'm not saying this applies to Eircom, since I don't know their thinking, but if you apply this theory to them, it means they want to roll out DSL, but not all at once. High prices mean they'll profit from early adopters while controlling their work flow. I reckon we'll see cheaper packages in the future. Competition is there in the form of EsatBT and other non-DSL broadband providers. Once the public becomes more aware of the benefits of broadband, this competition may push prices down.

However, I'm not sure if we'll see prices at anything like UK levels. My understanding is that a smaller population with much lower densities than other countries doesn't lead to cheap telecoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by el tonto
    However, I'm not sure if we'll see prices at anything like UK levels. My understanding is that a smaller population with much lower densities than other countries doesn't lead to cheap telecoms.
    We've had this argument before. It's wrong. See here for proof.
    Estonia - US$ 35 - 512/128
    Sweden: 2.5mb downstream 0.75 up for $50~€50
    Iceland: $40 per month for 512/256 adsl
    Iceland ffs. There's only about half a million people in the entire country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Meh, I stand corrected. Thanks for that. I'm newer than most people here and haven't had a chance to read all previous posts. Must have fallen for the Eircom propaganda on that one, because I think it was from them I first heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Meh, you certinally sound passionate about these issues, and I can understand, I just hope you are not getting too stressed out with Eircom.... you may have seen this link, http://www.eircomtribunal.com/ , its more wishfull thinking, but Id love to see what woudl happen if there was a tribunal...

Years ago on a 2,400 kb/s modem I began to use the internet, But as I grew up in Kerry I had to ring dublin to connect to and ISp, in fact at the begining there was only a servicew set up by Trinity, called Easy something cant remember, but I find it kinda funny that they had a type of Cap back then too, they called them easyunits, were you bought so many a month to say on line, + a phone call to dublin, which was only viable at w/e but if you can remember that phone costs in 1990/91 for trunk calls were outreagous, I at the time prayed for somethign like a local POP... it took some time, but now the phone calls are cheeper and they have countrywide POP's, Eircom is just very slooooowww to change...

But rememer this next time you are at the bank, Who ****e8 phone costs up for the people of Ireland, the Banks, yep they abused Telecom Eireann and the public by connecting all the backs together fulltime from town to town, and then from county to county, TE had to introduce a pricing structure to combat this (someone please correct me if Im wrong - could be a fable)

Advertisement