Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

wow!!!

Options
  • 19-11-2002 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I just took the Passat 1.8T for a test drive...

MUCHO FUN!!!!

I think I'm in love. Anyone here got one of these puppies, in particular the petrol version? I'd be interested in what deals / prices you bought one for, and where (especially if the seller is open to *negotiation*) ;)

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

my sister just got a 2001 passat, full body kit tiz feckin class alrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

its a vw passat, calm down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget the Passat go out and test the Skoda Octavia RS jobbie you'll be happier as you'll save thousands.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

A Skoda?

methinks not!

c0y0te

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by mike65
    Forget the Passat go out and test the Skoda Octavia RS jobbie you'll be happier as you'll save thousands.

Mike.

Yep Octiva RS Turbo = €26,235
    Passat 1.8T (Base model) = €28,520

not much of a saving if you go for the base model 1.8T passat but the Octiva RS has more power. Although the insurance could be a bugger on the RS.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Don't listen to them c0y0te ... think about the resale value and it is hard enough to shift second hand 1.8T Passats, I can't imagine what it must be like to shift a second hand Skoda Rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Or stretch 2 grand from the passat petrol and get a BMW 316Ti, and forget about resale problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Hmmm, the current Passat has been around for the last 5 or 6 years at this stage, and the design is showing it's age badly, especially in terms of handling. Even when it was new, the Mondeo of the time was considered a better car to drive, as was the Peugeot 406. All it had in it's favour at the time was the quality of the cabin.

Since the launch of the current Mondeo, it has been pushed even further into the shade - all the comparison tests I've read say that the Passat just isn't worth the money any more since the Mondeo comprehensively outshines it on the road, and the cabin quality is pretty much on a par. Having driven a TDdi Mondeo, I can fully appreciate why. You should consider also that Passat values fell hugely in this country within months of the Mondeo being launched, and that the Mondeo is currently the class leader for residuals. In performance terms, you won't lose much in a Mondeo TDCi (130bhp, 330Nm, 0-62mph in 9.9s) compared to the Passat 1.8T (150bhp, 210Nm, 0-62mph in 9.0s), and you'll probably gain in terms of mid-range power, which makes the Mondeo a faster car in real world driving, especially for overtaking.

Don't discount the Skoda Octavia RS either - it's a far more capable car than the Passat. The only significant mark against it compared to the Passat is it's size, since it's based on the smaller Golf platform.

Advertisement