Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive problems - helpppp!!!

• 20-11-2002 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I am having a problems with my hard drive. Ill give yea a breakdown of what happened in order. The pc was running on windows 2000 all updates and stuff done. I don’t know if this is a virus or what.

1.the pc became sluggish while in use
    2.I reboot
    3.while booting up it says “error invalid disk” press any key to restart. (before the win2000 loader)

I then tried it in another computer on its on it started booting up and then it says
    Cannot find “ntldr” (ntloader I guess)

So I hook up another hard drive and set (the one with the problems) as a slave … when I get in to windows and try to read it says that the drive needs to be formatted … and there is no file system on it …

Is there a virus that can do this..or would it be a problem with windows … or the hard the drive …

Hopefully I can format and start from fresh .. has this happened to any one else before ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

this exact same thing happened to one of the staff PC's in DNC recently. We were left with a drive with 68,000 file fragments on it after we tried to recover it. Haven't had a chance to try Nortons on it but it looks bad right now.

We haven't the slightest idea what caused it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

i contacted a m8 that i have in microsoft ... he thinks it mabe a sircam virus ...

he said everytime your system reboots it eats more of the system away ( only thing is on the first reboot system / file system was gone )... then it hits the bios ...

/me pulls out my hard drive asap for format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Probably time to fdisk it and then create a new primary partition on the disk. Then format disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

yea mabe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

yep i agree with conor in his MR2 , hes got the right idea:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

So I hook up another hard drive and set (the one with the problems) as a slave … when I get in to windows and try to read it says that the drive needs to be formatted … and there is no file system on it …

You could get this by trying to look at the disk in a win 95/98 machine .... it will not be able to read a ntfs filesystem

Advertisement