Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd player opinion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

I bought one last week and have to say I'm pretty happy with it.....just make sure that you get a pretty decent scart cable for it cos believe me it will make the difference. Also when not in use turn the player off at the power cos it generates serious heat. I'm using it with a digital amp for the 5.1 surround and I've had no probs with any disc and the fact it has a digital out for the price is a big bonus.....I found this site here pretty handy before I bought mine http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=568&Search=Search&#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

I also have one for the last 2 months. It plays everything, DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3 it also will work with CD-R and CDRW.

It is excellent. I have also updated the firmware on it to version 10 and it also helped with some problematic VCDs.

Well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

A few things about the 528..
    I bought one last november, so I've had it around a year now..
    I still use it regularly for DVDs and it does the job, nothing spectacular, but I have a pretty old TV so quality-wise its grand.

Anyway:

- Theres no fan, as already said it generates a lot of heat, give it a lot of space, and don't put it on-top or near an amp/receiver (shouldn't really put anything on top or below them anyway)

- About 6 months ago, it stopped reading CDs... any type, be it CD-R/R or original music CDs... now it'll only read DVDs, a firmware upgrade didn't help this so I bought a seperate CD player.

- The region-free mod is a remote hack. So don't go paying extra for it.

- Both of the digital outs are flawed in stereo playback... left/right channels are switched... If you are playing stereo (CDs/Music DVDs) then use an analog connection... unfortunaly theres no real fix for this... DTS/DD signals are grand (its really only PCM thats affected)

- Watch the door for the cd tray, its only held on by a little spring... it fell off on mine.

- For MP3 playback, I'd reccomend at least 192kbps.. 128 sounds terrible through this player.

- It has two headphone sockets, both of which have a lot of noise through them.

For the price, though I have to stress it is quite decent. Just don't use it for CD playback...

Advertisement