Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDWR for laptop

• 20-11-2002 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Guys. I've been asked to source a CDRW for a laptop running NT. It has the usual ports etc. plus USB 1.1. As USB is not supported under NT what are my options. I presume the way to go is PCMCIA (expensive) or install W98 and get use of USB. Don't fancy option 2 but probably a cheaper alternitive. Or is there any other alternitives I'm missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Freecom Portable II CD Re-Writer - 4x/4x/20x - External
    Travellor II cable system means you can use this drive with SCSI, PCMCIA, USB 2, and Parallel

Notice Parallel. Thus no need for USB. Plus not expensive like firewire and supported even under NT.

€265.83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks Typedef. That will do fine. Where did you get that price from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

But because it is parallel port you wont get much better than burning at 4X ... in fact the traveller 4424 that we had at work with the parallel port cable (pass through dongle, with a shortish cable coming out of one side) never got better than 1 X on a lot of PC's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

parallel port burning is a waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ding, if it's a branded laptop (e.g. Dell) you may be able to buy a drive from them, which replaces the current drive in the system..

For example, on Dell's website, [when ordering a new laptop] you can upgrade to a 40/10/40 CD-RW for an extra €197.00.

Naturally, it would cost more than this to purchase one as an accessory, but it would be a damn site faster than parallel...

Problem may be getting drivers for NT.

They also have upgrades to DVD/CDRW combos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ding
    As USB is not supported under NT

Yes it is.

Support was added with service pack 6
    (it also added DVD support)

The problem as people have mentioned is that support was added so late in the product cycle that many manufacturers haven't bothered to write NT drivers for their USB products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks for the replys. Bit the bullet and got an external USB for 200 euros.

Advertisement