Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn. Those are some pretty boring, middle of the road polls.

Options
  • 20-11-2002 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

C'mon. Even one or two outsiders would liven things up. Jeeez

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

too true.
    too too true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

yeah. especially the best radio show one. I mean it's so boxed in. I want to know who decided on the nominees and their reasoning for not being broader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 the sublimed

extremely conservative choices
    barely one good album on the best album thread

looking at the list again - strikes me that all those bands have made better albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

looking at the list again you should realise that they're all from this year. and afaik none of those listed have had two releases this year.

then again xfm and jazz fm missing from the other radio one is criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think the only thing that sublimed has posted about the polls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I can't comment really, I worked my way thru only 3 of the polls before I got bored.

Originally posted by monument
    I think the only thing that sublimed has posted about the polls
    Originally posted by kali
    looking at the list again you should realise that they're all from this year. and afaik none of those listed have had two releases this year.

yessum?
    my point is that all these established bands have produced better before so now we're left voting for their 'inferior' shtuff.
    there are plenty of other albums that stand up to any of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

such as?

i mentioned a few in the best album thread. boards of canada, the notwist, queens of the stone age. they're the ones that have sold reasonably well. there are loads of smaller releases (some decent irish ones) that would also merit being on the same list as some quite disappointing doves, flaming lips etc. albums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by the sublimed
    i mentioned a few in the best album thread. boards of canada, the notwist, queens of the stone age. they're the ones that have sold reasonably well. there are loads of smaller releases (some decent irish ones) that would also merit being on the same list as some quite disappointing doves, flaming lips etc. albums.

NOW you are just ranting!

"sold reasonably well" and "smaller releases" - Its NOT fair to put smaller releases (which wont get as many votes) with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters or Coldplay.

if I had replaced Doves or the Flaming Lips by Boards of Canada or The Notwist or Queens of The Stone Age, i would be called crazya and most people would ask who are they..

Also if you want to tell people about bands you love start a new thread, tell people!!!

its a fair cop - but i wasn't ranting. i would've thought queens of the stone age were big enough... at least you admit that for this poll it is important how many albums the bands have sold, thereby explaining a shortfall in quality music. problem is that you won't end up with the best album of the year, just the most popular. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

how does the sublimed suggest the best album is decided on then, as surely popularity defines peoples choices and therefore defines what people think is the best album, as the more popular an album is the more people (who bought it) like it and maybe then more people (who bought it) will think its the best album of the year therefore making the poll indicate it as the best album of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

if I had replaced Doves or the Flaming Lips by Boards of Canada or The Notwist or Queens of The Stone Age, i would be called crazya and most people would ask who are they..

thats being a bit judgemental don't u think?
    im sure lots of people know queens of the stone age
    sure,i dont know the new boards of canada yet but hope
    to get me hands on it soon&i dont know the notwist(anygood?)

they's no harm in trying something first and then having judgements,but the other way round?

mmm il shut up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

problem is that you won't end up with the best album of the year, just the most popular.

"best" is a personal opinion, not something a poll is going to establish.. however it will establish which of the more popular albums ppl prefer (and even then 10 choices is hardly wide-enough)

Personally (as no doubt most ppl would have) I've bought much better albums this year than any of those listed (múm, cinematic orchestra, amon tobin, funki porcini, boom bip), but considering I wouldn't expect the majority of ppl to have heard of those, including them in a limited poll is next to pointless.

and Geogaddi is nowhere as good as Music has the Right :P

Advertisement