Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start date for new Commission announced

Options
  • 20-11-2002 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Press Release

Dermot Ahern Announces Start-Up Date For New Commission for Communications Regulation

Minister To Publish Draft Policy Directive

Dublin, Wednesday, 20 November, 2002

Dermot Ahern, T.D., Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, announced today that he will establish the new Commission for Communications Regulation (Comreg) on 1 December 2002. This date will mark the fourth anniversary of the liberalisation of the telecommunications market in 1998.

The Minister will issue the new Commission with his draft policy directive, including the introduction of flat rate internet access, the following day (2nd December). The policy directive will also focus Comreg support for the Government’s national broadband policy and minimising the cost of regulation to the telecommunications sector.

[snip]

Minister Ahern previously announced that it is his intention that the direction will focus on a number of key policy priorities for the Commission for Communications Regulation in the short to medium term, including the introduction of flat rate internet access.

The Minister said: “I want flat rate internet access, the public wants it and the economy needs it. I believe flat rate Internet access is vital in driving the Information Society and is seen as a pivotal part of our development as an economy and as a society.”

[snip]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Well I can only say cap off to Ahern. As one who was dubious and critical of his "it is my intention to ........" the guy certainly seems to be determined about this.

"Ye get the jobs on Sunday 1st, and ye start work on Monday 2nd at 9.00am" And I WANT Flat Rate.

Smells good! Well done IOFFL - looks like effort may be rewarded.

Now lets move our focus to Broadband Affordability, Wireless and all the other goodies while Etian and Co are busy delivering the Minister's wishes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by davros
    [B This date will mark the fourth anniversary of the liberalisation of the telecommunications market in 1998. [/B]

4 Years of a so called liberalised market and what exactly has been so liberal about it. I know other companies were allowed to provide services but €ircon still have a monopoly. I hope the Dermot Ahearn tackles this issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

one step at a time imo.
    which step should come first is debateable tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Minister said: “I want flat rate internet access, the public wants it and the economy needs it. I believe flat rate Internet access is vital in driving the Information Society and is seen as a pivotal part of our development as an economy and as a society.”

Someone call an ambulance. I'm in shock.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

it would prolly get delayed too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

[jest] The ambulance? [/jest]

Flat rate internet access ... hmmm ..... sounds too good (too soon) to be true ...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

This is very good news. eWorking can become a reality for all our employees. And just as Esat rang me to confirm that they are installing my DSL tomorrow morning!!!!

This is the last contribution I will make to this forum..... paying by the minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Etian and Co are busy delivering the Minister's wishes.

those useless cnut$? nothings going to happen. Eircom can relax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ahern announces D-day for Comreg (ENN)
    Comreg, Ireland's new commission for communications regulation, will be activated on 1 December, Minister Dermot Ahern, T.D., said on Wednesday.

The first day of December 2002, a Sunday, is also the fourth anniversary of the liberalisation of Ireland's telecommunications market. The next day, Minister for Communications Dermot Ahern will issue his much-awaited draft policy directive to the new three-person panel, a directive that includes the introduction of flat-rate Internet access.

"I want flat-rate Internet access, the public wants it and the economy needs it," Minister Ahern said in a statement on Wednesday. "I believe flat-rate Internet access is vital in driving the Information Society and is seen as a pivotal part of our development as an economy and as a society."

Other provisions in the expected draft policy directive include the need for consistency between the regulatory obligations imposed in Ireland and those of other European countries. The directive is also set to focus Comreg support for the government's national broadband policy, the Department of Communications said.

[...]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Goody, goody, gum drops?

paddy20:p

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

New domain too (well new to me anyway)

http://www.comreg.ie

(points to odtr at the minute)

Timod,

Nice one, very interesting site and "New" to me as well.

Be lucky.

paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

...er, no... the site is around a long time... it's just the new name "comreg.ie" is new!

Timod,

It is still "New" to me? Thanks.

paddy20:)

Advertisement