Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstall Win 2k

• 20-11-2002 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey,

I was just wondering is it possible to uninstall windows 2k completly from a computer? Im having a bit of a problem with my computer and i figure the best thing to do is to do a clean install of the os.

also is there any way to get to dos without having to use in command prompt in win 2k. if i was able to do that i could fomat my C drive and start all over again.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

yep get yourself a windoze 98 boot disc (if you don't have access to win 98 just do a search on the web for one). You can use this to boot the pc to DOS and from there you can delete the partitions and format the hard drive using fdisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Won't work if your hard drive is NTFS tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Papa Lazarou

My hard disk is using the NTFS file system, So what do you recommend i do then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Afaik, ntfs hard disks cant be written to from dos. I know I couldnt format mine after using a 98/me boot disk. You could try removing the partition and making a new one using Fdisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Using the win 2k bootable cdrom you can delete partitions from disks and create new partitions and reformat them ntfs (possibly fat as well, I cant remember thought about the fat format its been a while)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

beat me to it ye big eejit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

fdisk can delete non-dos partitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Debug woud be better as it rewrites the sectors on the disk, it doesn't care about partitions and it always leaves your disk in good shape, you need a 98 boot disk with debug on it then at the prompt type the following

debug
    -F 200 L1000 0
    -A CS:100
    xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301
    xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200
    xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1
    xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80
    xxxx:010C INT 13
    xxxx:010E INT 20
    xxxx:0110 (Leave this line blank and press the <Enter> key)
    -G

The message, Program terminated normally, appears.

Then just create a partition in fdisk and your suckin' Diesel

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

If you want some boot disk then you want Bootdisk.com.

As for The 2k Boot CDROM, well that will let you delete/add and format patitions. Using both Fat32 and NTFS file systems. Just remember to back up all the stuff you want to keep (placing the back ups on a other hard drive or a CDw.)

Things to remember...

If you have C and D partitions on the same hard drive and you delete the C drive. then recreat one. It will be a E drive. It is best to just format the partitions you want to. This way you wont lose anything on the D: partition on your hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If you have C and D partitions on the same hard drive and you delete the C drive. then recreat one. It will be a E drive. It is best to just format the partitions you want to. This way you wont lose anything on the D: partition on your hard drive.

It will be the E: drive!?!
    The only time this would ever occour is if you were booted into and OS and used Partition Magic (or similar) to remove a partition (other than the first or last) and recreat it.
    This is impossible to do for the C: as it is the drive you booted from!

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by tribble

It will be the E: drive!?!
    The only time this would ever occour is if you were booted into and OS and used Partition Magic (or similar) to remove a partition (other than the first or last) and recreat it.
    This is impossible to do for the C: as it is the drive you booted from!

b

Well as far as I remember, the windows 2000 setup program only makes drives in alfabeical order. Meaning once the C: partition has been deleted, you need to recreat all other partitions to get a C drive back.... but I think if you have a second hard drive on the system, and only the C drive on the first. Then you can make the C drive with out deleting any others.... I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I ended up without any C partition once ... had to go at it again .... several times I ended up with C _ E (i.e. no D, both partitions on the same physical drive) but that is easy to fix using comp managment...

Advertisement