Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of mythology

Options
  • 20-11-2002 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Has anyone played this? Whats it like?

I had AOE, i liked it for a good while

I havn't got a pc game in ages, I only got a new PC 2 weeks ago - this time it can actually play games (as my old one was soooo slow)

should I go for this or try Warcraft 3??
    I wanna go for stragy/war game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's very, very good. It basically takes all the stuff Warcraft 3 did - nice 3D engine, heavy plot focus, heroes etc - and applies it to the Age of Empires formula. So, you still get the whole ages thing, huge armies, loads of unit upgrades and what have you - oh, and you can zoom out much further than you can in WC3, which is a bonus.

Personally I'm enjoying it more than WC3 because I've always liked the base-building and defensive elements of RTS games, which WC3 almost completely ignored. Your mileage may vary, however. It's definitely a good sequel to AOE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm not a fan of real time strategy games in any way, shape or form, but I've played both Warcraft 3 and AOM, and I'd have to say I prefer WC3. Do remember that I am quite **** at both games though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Just watched a few of the movies on their website and I must say it looked very impressive. Must say tho Age of Mythology doesn't roll off the lips the same way Age of Empires does, or maybe I'm just used to AOE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have it since we made it in work a few weeks ago and was on teh Beta Test for it also.

And i love it ,i normally hate these type of games but AOE series is the one that stands out as its playable for ppl like me and if you get into its like Wc3 etc:

Aom is a lot better but one thing i found it assumes you have played the earlier games in the Learn to PLay campaigns it only adds to what we already knew.

Good game should get it.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Kewl, sounds like a plan
    play.com, here I come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Slimjim

I have it since we made it in work a few weeks ago and was on teh Beta Test for it also.

Sounds interesting KdjaC. I didnt realise it was made in Ireland! Do tell more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

yesterday i walked into game and had a look around and seen this game sold for 34.99 and one other copy for 59euros..well off course i had to buy the 39.00 version (not that it doesnt make any difference except for the fact that its cheaper)

As the name suggested i expected an Age of Empire-esque strategy game.
    Nice graphics, nice sound..crappy game.
    annoying as hell and some people referred it to WC3 but its nothing like it. Heroes , yes you do have them ..but they have no skill except killing other 'myths' and being funny...but they die just as easily and actually too cheap to produce. Don't get me wrong the whole theme of ancient heroes and legends does attract me..but this could have been done better. This game allows two settings 'defensive' and 'aggresive' that means that troops react to enemies within a close by radius...and on aggressive that would mean that they follow a market donkey untill they die deep in the enemy HQ. ignoring everything else and just want to kill the damn donkey...AI anyone ? even after killing the unit they set out for the don't return to the original spot to continue defending..nopes they just stand there wherever you killed the damn unit. That would mean on a map with several players you can just send in a cheap unit and have the enemy follow you into a wall of towers easily.....-sigh- (done so)
    give me WC3 or give me Death...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Fair enough, that part of the AOM is rather stupid.

I still prefer it over WC3...
    My main gripe(s) with WC3 are:

- the maps are too small.
    - The gfx, while cute, are far too "zoomed" in. Perhaps this is to make the maps appear bigger? They is no sense of scale, no feeling of large scale conflict, this is of course confounded by:

- the heroes become so powerful that they become almost unstoppable juggernauts.

The population cap is so low in WC3 and the heros so strong that it doesnt amount to anything more a glorified, arcade RPG (Diablo anyone?). A genuine RPG can do that better. I was a big Warcraft fan. I loved WC1 and 2. Unfortunately WC3 amounted to the Counterstrike kids "Next Big thing". :(

Give me a RTS with a bit of meat in it over WC3 anyday.

AOM suffers none of this missing link genre crap, it knows its limits and plays at least as good as its predecessors.

Matt

Originally posted by Matt Simis

AOM suffers none of this missing link genre crap, it knows its limits and plays at least as good as its predecessors.

Yeah the last thing we want developers to do is try something new and maybe give us an innovative and exciting game. I'll just the same auld ****e with bells on please. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If you re-read what I said, you would notice I said "plays as good" as, not "is the same as"...

Theys little point in being different for the sake of it and producing something inferior now is there?

• Advertisement

I got what you were trying to say the first time thanks, if every new game created was designed to ensure it was
    plays at least as good as its predecessors
    then don't you think games would get a bit bland and the market would stagnate. Personally I think we're getting flooded with these clones and its only the odd time you'll see a developers trying something completely new, and its well worth the risk to see if this new style of gameplay is any good. By your logic we'd all by playing pong 3D right now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

No, Thorbar. Learn to read English before trying to start arguments. He said that it plays as well as it's predecessors; not that it plays the same. In fact it introduces a number of new gameplay elements, but it does so without damaging the gameplay of the series - which is something to be encouraged.

Just because you're innovating doesn't mean you should ignore the need to make a game that plays as well as games that have come before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I have been a AoE2: TC fan for a long time, and still enjoy playing it online, the frantic economy build-up, the early feudal 'on the tip of a knife edge' battles, the powerful knight armies and the huge siege armies of longer games. But most of this goodness is missing from AoM.

I have really tried to like AoM, but it has disappointed me. For reasons already mentioned in this thread, and a few more. Maybe, still being a rookie has prevented me from getting to the good parts, I know I was terrible at AoC for a long time. I will continue trying, howfully I will grow to like it more.

Sorry, my post was a bit of a troll but the point I was trying to get make was its a good thing when developers try and break out of a set genre. Sure its a big risk games in the past where developers have tried this have turned out pants but imho its worthwhile because sometimes you'll be rewarded with a really refreshing and exciting game. I think if you shackle yourself to ensuring the game will play at least as well as what has gone on before it then you're limiting what advances you can make. Sadly with the cost of game development these days you can't really expect developers to take these risks. That's one of the great benifits of having a modding community. With so little money being invested in they can do what they want and can produce some amazing results, Natural Selection being a good example.

Advertisement