Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and Esatbt are STUPID - ntl too?

Options
  • 20-11-2002 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Okay , could you imagine how much revenue esatbt and eircom would make if they dropped their prices for home users?

how many people would avail , i sure would !!

if they only would look at the long term results, their signup rate at the moment is terrible, i only met one person with "i-stream" and at that he wasn't happy, set up costs - installation and you have to but their card/modem plus he had to pay two months in advance , his first bill was over €700 :confused:

by the way i told him about eastbt - not being great either €90 (including line rental) but a hell of alot cheaper than eircom's €107 (excluding line rental - anoher €16 a month so €123)

he quickly switched,

ntl where are you , you haven't done work in over 18 months,
    with only tallaght and parts of walkinstown done,

people want broadband at your price, €30 for ntl standard cable tv users and €35 for non, we're waiting with our money , cop the hell on..(i actually wonder how many calls a day they get about it?)

just a thought..

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by theciscokid
    he quickly switched

I thought that if you signed up with eircom they put you on a years contract, so when you say that he quickly switched, how did he do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Eh,

you will be a long time waiting on NTL,
    they have no interest in Ireland past maximising their profits here,
    and that doesn't including upgrading the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    I thought that if you signed up with eircom they put you on a years contract, so when you say that he quickly switched, how did he do this?

as far as i know he had to move , which then voided his contract so he had to pay a fee/fine or something, but i presume it was worth it in the long run with savings over eircom's childish money making schemes,

by the way esatbt say you have to pay for three months in advance , so €270 at the start plus set-up costs, do you have to pay €270 every three months from then or do they have some evil twist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

esats adsl is 109 inc vat so its slightly more expensive then eircoms

Originally posted by tuxx

erm, just on the phone to them , if you only have one line and use it for dsl for home users its €90 including line rental, am going to check again as it's free phone and i might get a different story off another agent

• Advertisement

eircom is €107 but that is without line rental which is €32 every two months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

erm, just on the phone to them , if you only have one line and use it for dsl for home users its €90 including line rental, am going to check again as it's free phone and i might get a different story off another agent

There's this thing called VAT added to the €90, brainiac.
    Is there any point to this thread? If you'd done any reading on IOFFL you'd know EsatBT are bringing out a consumer DSL in 6 weeks time, which is half the price.

Of course Eircom and EsatBT's present DSL offerings are expensive, they aren't really targetted at home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You should do some reading too... Eircom and Esats 512k should should be the residential package. And it should be a max. of €60.

€107 for 512k DSL is grossly expensive whether it be for residential or business.

Originally posted by eth0_
    Is there any point to this thread? If you'd done any reading on IOFFL you'd know EsatBT are bringing out a consumer DSL in 6 weeks time, which is half the price.

Of course Eircom and EsatBT's present DSL offerings are expensive, they aren't really targetted at home users.

i was quoting that from an agent including vat she said, the point of this thread is the lack of proper prices :confused: ,

if you don't like it don't post, :rolleyes:

and i would love you to point the residential dsl lines for me, as i truely did miss that one,

dsl lines for the home half the price?

link please etho, now i hope you have a co. link and not another forumite misleading thread like this one!! :p

i was quoting that from an agent including vat she said, the point of this thread is the lack of proper prices :confused:

link please etho, now i hope you have a co. link and not another forumite misleading thread like this one!! :p

I'm entitled to post here just like everyone else. I was correcting you because what you said was wrong.

The Esat DSL product that's out at the moment is not aimed at home customers although they're welcome to sign up. The contract you are sent is the same contract used for buying ATM lines etc. Here's a list of prices for several broadband products in Ireland: http://www.iol.ie/~discover/net.htm
    All telephony related charges I have ever seen have been quoted ex VAT.

Esat are launching consumer targetted DSL in 6 weeks' time. It'll be €50 (ex vat!) for 256k access. All true. As I said, it's been discussed on IOFFL before, and a simple search will show you that.

Can you please proof read before you hit submit, because that last post made very little sense.

P.S How exactly did you friend void his DSL contract with Eircom? I'd be interested to know what p|ssed them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

everything in this thread has been discussed to death already
    lock :s?

I agree, it's pretty pointless. But I want to know why that guy was kicked off I-Stream!

well etho , thanks for the link,

256k line? do'h, i was under the impression it was 512k, and €50 (excluding vat), so thats €60 but it is uncapped, i could be tempted, 5 or six weeks eh? still better than nothing

proof read , it made sense read it again

well he wasn't my friend , some guy that i bought insurance off,

as i said

he moved home

so i presume leaving the set-up behind and voiding the contract which would probably mean a fine/fee, he would have to re-install and all that crap, so i said get adsl form eastbt which is cheaper then going down the whole eircom route again

:D

well etho , thanks for the link,

256k line? do'h, i was under the impression it was 512k, and €50 (excluding vat), so thats €60 but it is uncapped, i could be tempted, 5 or six weeks eh? still better than nothing

Yep, we were told it's launching in 5 weeks. It's a good deal, I was going to go for the 512k service but I don't really need all that speed, that's what work net access is for.

so i presume leaving the set-up behind and voiding the contract which would probably mean a fine/fee, he would have to re-install and all that crap

Yeha, but he'll never be able to sign up to any Eircom services without sorting his **** out :)

oh no,

hey thanks for that link by the way.

does anyone have that irishbroadband.ie service

how far is it from rathmines to donnybrook

please don't be more than 5 km,

€50 a month for 512k including vat :D:D

It's not as the crow flies, there has to be a clear line of sight. Ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I just get picky with things like this. Esat is FAR cheaper because there's no cap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

I'm with Esat and it's €90 a month VAT included .. so there's not much brain in you i think =) (find out first and then talk)

Second of all ..I've no problems whatsoever with the service and the pings (at least mine) are very low.

No caps .. and service quality is great.

Anything else? Can't ask for more. Really happy about it.

Regards,

JamworkS

Originally posted by JamworkS
    I'm with Esat and it's €90 a month VAT included .. so there's not much brain in you i think =) (find out first and then talk)

It would seem I obviously know more about the price than you mate, i've already posted a url with broadband charges on, and it is €108 including VAT per month, payable 3 months in advance.

Here's another!
    http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=8667089

You're going to get a nice surprise when you get your bill. Methinks you need to get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

everything in this thread has been discussed to death already

you are missing the point just a little, of course everthing here has been discussed to death already but its therapeutic to express ones frustrations.

For example, my frustration relief for today;

<rant>
    Please, please, please, will anyone who voted Fianna Fail in the last election please shut the f()ck up and not post on these boards anymore as you bear a fair share of responsibility for this crappy situation having voted for those USELESS TOSSERS
    </rant>

ahhhhhhh, that feels so much better

• Advertisement

Does putting stuff in <rant> tags make everything ok ?

Take it to politics pls ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Settle children ....

I heartily endorse MDR's suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

You see they operate on Irish LOGIC which is unique to them!, they seem to think that WHEN there is greater take-up they will drop prices but don’t realize that you must CREATE a demand BEFORE there is any take up since the internet is not a physicality and cannot be felt or touched, and current price model does more to discourage than to encourage. What the internet can offer users is as a direct result of its users and its demands and can only develop if users are encouraged to access 1st!
    Since what the Internet can offer the individual is based on how many users access these services, which creates the demand for these services, which in turn develops these services to cater for the users, you need a consumer base to begin with.

That consumer base has to be within cyberspace(internet) but if no one is in cyberspace then the services and demands for these services will never develop. Since this is not physical technology model you cannot apply the same methodology to this product.
    Unlike physical technology model which people are use to and can see touch and feel BEFORE buying... the internet is something that is not tangible has to be experienced 1st, if your first experience with the internet is when it hits your pocket, that’s not going to be the best experience to have or encourage take-up and demand now is it!?
    Any way i leave you all to draw your own conclusions :)

You see they operate on Irish LOGIC which is unique to them!, they seem to think that WHEN there is greater take-up they will drop prices but don’t realize that you must CREATE a demand BEFORE there is any take up since the internet is not a physicality and cannot be felt or touched, and current price model does more to discourage than to encourage.

I would argue that its more likely they follow a 'charge fewer customers more' and make the same amount of cash as you could if you charged 'more customers less', except with less hassle. Historically the incumbent rarely drops prices under its own initative, I doubt it will do so with Broadband,.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by pork99
    <rant>
    Please, please, please, will anyone who voted Fianna Fail in the last election please shut the f()ck up and not post on these boards anymore as you bear a fair share of responsibility for this crappy situation having voted for those USELESS TOSSERS
    </rant>

Off topic I know but I have to agree 100% with Pork on this one. People who voted for FF have no right to complain about the situation we find ourselves in today. Whether it be the First Time Buyers Grant or the cut in Broadband expenditure.

*trots off the board*

Now I understand, it was FF who caused the world economic downturn. Someone should tell George Bush who the real culprits were. Of course it we had elected the opposition, they would have delivered on stuff like a medical card for everyone etc ...

take your ranting to Politics Pls !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

my point being that its a waste of time bitching about eircom, esatbt or even the odtr when the root cause is that the wrong people are in charge

I disagree, the root cause is an incumbent operator with no foresight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by MDR
    I disagree, the root cause is an incumbent operator with no foresight.

Yes, but surely the government have a lot to answer for for letting €ircon get away with it anti-competitive behaviour for so long. Our government are too lightweight and will only tackle issues that are easy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Now I understand, it was FF who caused the world economic downturn. Someone should tell George Bush who the real culprits were. Of course it we had elected the opposition, they would have delivered on stuff like a medical card for everyone etc ...

I really don't think it's appropriate for members of the committee to come in here and talk down to the membership like they were idiots. This is /our/ forum, not yours, remember?

take your ranting to Politics Pls !

That would have been quite enough, in fact the first time would have been enough. Dustaz and sceptre are the mods, let them do their job please.

[ I realise that you have a right to express your opinion like anyone else Ray, but the tagline under your handle bestows a certain amount of responsibility. He has a point, and a right to make that point. It's up to the mods to handle what to do with it. Sorry for getting a bit snappy, I just hate it when people are belittled, it's just not nice. ]

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement