Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish people want bband (continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

MRBI has alot to answer for :D

May I quote gladstone and say

'There are lies, damnable lies and statistics'

Those particular statistics also point to huge latent demand for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what you'll probably fnd is that at the current price most people won't use broadband look at the uk BT drops price 30000 people a week sign up
    gov. talks a good story about broadband as well
    http://nl2.vnunet.com/News/1136979
    http://nl2.vnunet.com/News/1134607

look at the advertising in the uk noticed that celebrity big brother was sponsored by bt broadband
    eircom's response would be that they've advertised and noone signed up despite it being a) expensive b) capped and C) unavailable in most of the country.
    eircom are only interested in one thing paying off enough debt to sell the company on again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

why not email Bernie Goldbach who wrote the piece
    mailto:stripes@iol.ie
    i just did

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Couple of interesting things there. One is that we seem to be hitting the european average for broadband desire. The figures are pretty comparable to the previous survey last week.
    But the MRBI research shows that perhaps the demand simply is not there. Of the 756 people interviewed, a group controlled by gender and social class to be a representative sample, 63 percent had used the Internet. Yet only 14 percent of the interviewees expressed a strong interest in broadband, while 32 percent expressed some interest.

Second , but did anyone notice that only 63 per cent had used the internet? that leaves 37% of those surveyed who had not used the internet. Hardly a good target group for broadband if you ask me. I wonder where that 25% who had no interest at all in it came from?

"It would cost everyone more," said Brian Walsh, MD of Alia in Cobh. "If everyone is always-on-and-streaming then every backbone and the connections from the backbone would have to be fatter. That's not going to happen at EUR30 a month."

Funny how every other european country can manage it at that price point, eh Brian?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Just got my DSL installed from EsatBT to the Churchfield exchange. All I can say is WOW!

The figures about 14% being interested must be rubbish. If they all came round my house and saw what it was like, I'm sure the figure would at least quadruple. The WOW factor would win them over. Remember most people have absolutely no concept of what broadband is like. They have never used the internet at more than about 50kbps, so they do not know what they are missing.

As for Brian of Alia... what a load of crap. Not 'everyone' is going to be constantly downloading. And what has always on got to do with bandwidth. You can be connected, but not using any bandwidth. You would think everyone would be pulling together to get broadband cheaper and more available. We don't need stupid comments for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually, I though Brian was one of the only people in there to address the subject more than superficially. His comment may have been badly phrased, but the logic is correct for the most part. Most of the comments made were naive, and demonstrated that the people making them have little or no understanding of the underlying economics and reality of rolling out and sustaining broadband and flat-rate Internet access. As for Bernie, well I think I have to agree with what John McCormac will have to say about him. Any minute now. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I have to be honest and say I didn't bother reading the article just what was in this thread, so forgive me if I jumped to any conclusions :)

Now I must go and read the article......

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

It's simply depressing reading that article. The overall impression I receive from it is that we here in simple backwater Ireland don't need broadband. I'm tired of hearing this, in fact I'm sick of it. Living in a supposed modern european country where in the year 2002 (almost the end of it now) I still cannot avail of broadband and all I see are reports\articles documenting how Irish people really don't want\need broadband.
    Are the people here ever going to get their heads out of their asses and see the sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by MDR
    MRBI has alot to answer for :D

May I quote gladstone and say

'There are lies, damnable lies and statistics'

Those particular statistics also point to huge latent demand for broadband.

90% of Statistics are made up on the Spot

Advertisement