Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCreevy promises new Internet development fund

Options
  • 20-11-2002 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

just got this in an email lads

The Minister for Finance, Mr McCreevy, says the government may implement a new EU levy on email messages after the Budget in order to fund the country's IT infrastructure. Sources close to the Minister said the Department of Finance was considering the introduction of a levy from senders in the order of 1 cent per email. The maximum rate allowed under the new EU Directive is four cent per message.

Under the scheme, Internet service providers would collect a small nominal fee per message on behalf of the Exchequer. The new charges would then be passed on to the consumer. The monies collected would in turn go towards expanding the country's IT infrastructure.

"It is up to each member state how they spend it, as long as it goes to IT-related projects," one official said. The principle was much the same as public-private partnerships to build new toll roads, he said. "It would be similar to the way the monies collected from the recent plastic levy go towards environmental measures."

However, several Internet companies argued that the new EU levy would stifle Internet use in Ireland. "If they adopt the levy, we would have to close down within a week," a spokesman for the entertainment website P45.net said last night.

"We publish over a dozen email newsletters a week, and one of them has more than 23,000 subscribers. We don't charge people who receive our newsletters, so the idea that we ourselves might have to pay several hundred euros each time we send an issue seems to be medieval," the spokesman said.

its good in some ways ... but jeasus ... i dunno how they are going to do this ? ... maybe boards will become more popular ! .. they might levy that next

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

disgraceful , McCreepy obviously has his house paid for already with big fat pipes,

bring back the first time buyers grant i say you wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

may i say that you have been had

sounds like a load of **** to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I heartily endorse this event or product.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Theres no way this could be true lol. Irish internet users have it hard enough without this nonsence. But I wouldnt put anything past McCreevy so it could be true eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Haha! Good prank :)
    Sure it'd be completely unenforcable, and people would just switch to web-based email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Originally posted by simpsons rule
    just got this in an email lads
    [/i]

Em...
    Who sent you that email? How well do you trust them and their sources?
    Guaranteed hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

McCreevy should stick his head down the nearest toilet bowl, where it belongs, and pull the flush?

paddy20 ::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Guaranteed hoax.

An old one too, been doing the rounds in the US for years, albeit in a different format.

http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/602p.htm

Just another kidiot with no imagination.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Sounds like a hoax to me..... but just to assure our hosting customers we will reject such a levy out of hand :D;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

That has to be a piss take!How would it be enforced? And of course using the internet costs a fortune already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its a stupid wind up. Ignore it.

I can just picture some dodgy hosting companies trying to produce sendmail log files to the Revenue :p

"Sorry Mr Revenue Commish, my log files only go back 7 days!"
    :D

The scariest thing is that I have actually listened to a sane person arguing for levies on emails.... and he didn't know about the hoax :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by DC

The scariest thing is that I have actually listened to a sane person arguing for levies on emails.... and he didn't know about the hoax :rolleyes:

Oooh on spam senders! That'd be nice! heh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Its a stupid wind up. Ignore it
    i read in pc live a month or two ago about p45
    that they made up a rumour or two to see how long it would take to get around and how popular there site is.
    this just proves it
    well that and the award they won.

Oooh on spam senders! That'd be nice! heh
    I actually do my friend a bit of an injustice. He suggested that spammers could only send you spam if they would pay a few cent per email to the recipient into some sort of virtual bank account. If they didn't pay and still sent you spam they get big fines. Who regulates this I don't know.

A great idea in theory, but in practice can't see it working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Its a stupid wind up. Ignore it.

Muppets. I love the way the first guy has the "idea" on the bog. What's the odds he was reading Snopes earlier on that day.

Regi, get the van.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Wow! what a great original idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement