Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why my UTV is better than I-Stream, even for 56k people :)

Options
  • 20-11-2002 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

I know this has kinda been done already, maybe this'll serve as a reminder to those who still use I-Stream. Also i notice there's been a lot of people bashing utv for really minor quibbles that i'm sure will be solved soon enough, utv don't deserve it, anyway.

I use the utv internet primarily for downloading so often i'll just leave it download while i'm off doing other things. Usually i'll get a speed of 5.1/5.2 KB/s, it might dip to 4.8-4.9 Kb/s on the very odd occasion but that's as bad as it gets. Every 16 minutes (give or take a few seconds) i'll download 6mb, of course this is only approximate, but getting 6MB's every 16 minutes is a reasonable figure for me anyway. Doing a little math i download 3.375 gigabytes/s every month with utv, 3.375 gigs for only E30 a month too! Let's break this down into table form to really show Eircon up for the miserly penny-pinchers that they are.
    I-Stream product with 3gb cap                  Utvip

E1,292.28 per year + E199.65 installation      TOTAL = E360 per year
     + E175.45 minimum for equipment 
     TOTAL = E1667.38 minimum

My UTV is nearly 5 times cheaper than Eircon while also letting me download MORE (375MB's than Eircon). On top of that you get extremely helpful and effective support staff, the only benefit i can see to I-Stream is that you'll get stuff faster, but i seriously can't see anyone willing to pay an extra E1,300 for the speed!

Oh and if any I-Stream users are converted then mention me and i get 50 yo-yo's for refering you :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Raskolnikov

Oh and if any I-Stream users are converted then mention me and i get 50 yo-yo's for refering you :P

Alas it's just credit not cash :-( Still, better than nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

you do know there is a way to uncap now don't you!

didn't know there was a 3gb cap on i-stream , hell i'd have 10 films dl on my first day, its not really unlimited then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If i can get two people to sign up for utv every month i'll get it for free :P
    Originally posted by theciscokid
    you do know there is a way to uncap now don't you!

didn't know there was a 3gb cap on i-stream , hell i'd have 10 films dl on my first day, its not really unlimited then is it?

If you want I-Stream without the cap it costs something over E200 a month! I am refering to the cheapest ADSL product which Eircon are offering and my figures are correct(almost certain).

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

If people work from home and their business is Internet related then going for broadband always on at peak time is way better than going for UTVip and still paying for peak calls. Most business works from 9 to 5:30 I have been told :)

Just avoid i-scream and go for Esat's DSL if possible.

I mean in 16 minutes you can download 50MB with DSL and during the day too. Yes its expensive. But for businesses its very affordable compared to having dual channel ISDN on all day.

I'm ditching No Limits in favour of Esat's DSL. (Anyone want to buy an 'oul No Limits license off me :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by DC
    If people work from home and their business is Internet related then going for broadband always on at peak time is way better than going for UTVip and still paying for peak calls. Most business works from 9 to 5:30 I have been told :)

Just avoid i-scream and go for Esat's DSL if possible.

I mean in 16 minutes you can download 50MB with DSL and during the day too. Yes its expensive. But for businesses its very affordable compared to having dual channel ISDN on all day.

I'm ditching No Limits in favour of Esat's DSL. (Anyone want to buy an 'oul No Limits license off me :D )

That's all well and good for the people who work from home! For the 95% of us who don't have access to an affordable internet package, utv is the best deal. Unless broadband price is reduced significantly E30-40 Euros, i as a residential user can't warrant buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

That's all well and good for the people who work from home! For the 95% of us who don't have access to an affordable internet package, utv is the best deal. Unless broadband price is reduced significantly E30-40 Euros, i as a residential user can't warrant buying it.
    I agree totally. Personally I don't like paying 90 Euros (ex. VAT) for it, but if I want to work from home in my line of business, it has to be done.

The residential user is a bit of an after thought it seems with DSL. The fastest adopters were always going to be businesses being screwed during the day. Esat's 256 offering is obviously an attempt to address that, but its only mid-band and is still too expensive.

For everyone else there's always FRIACO which we are led to believe will be here shortly. I would expect UTVip to be a strong contender with that package also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Morning DC

I suppose you are up at 7.00am to do a bit of extra work from home!
    Originally posted by DC

Third time today you reminded us about your new DSL and me reading it on my very expensive and much slower ISDN. I'm delighted for you now please stop feeling the need to upset us all or you could find your old no limits licence being stored somewhere very uncomfortable..... :D

J

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I use the utv internet primarily for downloading so often i'll just leave it download while i'm off doing other things. Usually i'll get a speed of 5.1/5.2 KB/s, it might dip to 4.8-4.9 Kb/s on the very odd occasion but that's as bad as it gets. Every 16 minutes (give or take a few seconds) i'll download 6mb, of course this is only approximate, but getting 6MB's every 16 minutes is a reasonable figure for me anyway.

I get 5.6 KB/s constantly and it takes me 18 minutes to download 6 MB. In this day and age 18 Minutes for a miserly 6 MB is rediculous and the fact that UTVip is a better deal than i-Scream just goes to show how bad this country is for Internet access. If €ircon was a person, it'd be Ian Paisley, constantly saying NO. NO to FRIACO. NO to affordable Broadband. NO to clearing our lines of clutter. NO to unbundling their loop. NO to competitiveness. NO to good customer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

maybe this'll serve as a reminder to those who still use I-Stream.

Sorry, but you failed to remind us about our 50k download speeds, our ability to download at this rate at ANY time of the day and our pingtimes that are much smaller than 56k can offer. Those of us who have chosen to pay for DSL have made a decision based on cost, performance and need (and in my case raw lust). For me personally, it will take more than someones desire to knock a few quid of his UTV bill to persuade me to change.

Stop pimping, im serious:)

Advertisement