Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my new phone line today..

Options
  • 21-11-2002 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭

However, due to unfortunate circumstances (not enough capacity at where I live), I had to have a line splitter, and I now connect at 26400bps, as opposed to my normal 52000bps+ :/

Asides from the loss of bandwidth, is there anything else I need to know about line splitters?

*I'm right next to the exchange practically, so I thought splitting the line wouldn't affect me that much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well it will affect u alot afaik lines on a spliter work over a differnt frequency then normals ones so v.90(56k) wont work and your modem has to revert back to an older slower standard(33.6k at best)
    u also wont be able to get isdn or adsl unless the spliter is removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I was afraid of that.. :/

I also talked to the engineer about it, and he said the only way he'd gaurantee speed is with ISDN, my mum doesn't want that, since the line would be in her name... It also seems as though Eircom won't be adding in a cable. So basically it seems, unless I move.. I guess I'll have no chance of ADSL :(

Thanks for the info, btw

Originally posted by Kennett

I also talked to the engineer about it, and he said the only way he'd gaurantee speed is with ISDN, Thanks for the info, btw

yup if u get isdn a spare line from the exchange which they couldnt spare before will magically appear isnt that nice :rolleyes:

what fun.... :/

I'm just after looking at this tread, and it has me concerned...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.phps=&threadid=64594&highlight=Line+Splitter

Would this mean I can't switch to UTV (Which I was planning on doing?)

Originally posted by tuxx
    yup if u get isdn a spare line from the exchange which they couldnt spare before will magically appear isnt that nice :rolleyes:

It is odd how the Area Manager phoned me up and said that their capacity was maxed out in the estate i live in (Lakelands) (he talked to my mum about getting ISDN, but she didn't want it)... And the engineer telling me that ISDN is the only way to get good rates...

What really puzzles me is wouldn't splitting a line and ISDN be basically the same thing?

• Advertisement

well its differnt
    isdn needs a full line from the exchange
    a splitter shares one line with 2 or more ppl
    could u get back onto them and ask them if the capacity is maxed out in your estate and thats why they cant remover your spliter why are they able to offer u isdn which requies the removal of that spliter
    id be interested in hearing their answer

As would I... I'll probably phone them later on this week, or the beginning of next week... I hope my mum doesn't give out about this, but it is my (err half) line, I'm paying for it, and it is a perfectly valid question.

I'll be sure to write down their response and post it up here when I have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

You had a full physical line before - get the new line removed, then get ADSL, which will split into data and voice, as far as I know...

my mum doesn't want that happening... she wants 2 separate lines... i don't see her going into ISDN or ADSL unless half the line rental goes in my name... Which I doubt would happen... Guess UTV is my only hope now... (Funny how I had a full linein my last house, but not here...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I thought that there was to be NO MORE LINE SPLITTING after 1st April 2002 ???

Also - I seem to remember that if you move to another carrier there is a requirement that Eircom hand the line over without splitters and other such C*AP??

Finally - I seem to remember an number of people posting earlier this year about line splitting and reporting successful out-comes of the following variety:

Split line - Hello Eircom please remove the DACS
    Eircom - NO
    Split line - Please
    Eircom - NO
    Split line - If I move to ESAT you must remove the DACS because you must hand over a clutter free line. Would you like me to move to ESAT
    Eircom - NO
    Split line - Hello Eircom please remove the DACS
    Eircom - OK if you promise to stay.

And so far as I know you can subsequently move anyway, to UTV or wherever.

Not saying that it will work for you, but worth looking into a bit more.

Muck is the resident expert on such matters - if you see him about you might ask his advice.

• Advertisement

Hmm.. Odd...

Anyhow, I'll be sure to ask Muck for advice, thanks for all the help guys, I apreciate it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Checkout this doc http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/clfmp.pdf (technical)

The thread you are probably looking for ... Eiroms Pairgain aka DACS aka splitters are illegal!

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didn't know it was illegal i suppose it's not retrospective?
    the only way i know to get service is to find your local engineer pub and buy him drink. mind when you're at the end of 16 shared lines then its pretty difficult fro them to do anything anyway.I dream of getting 26400bps
    Mind you up the country it's fairly standard

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

so are you saying that €ircon have to clear your line of crap if you move to another operator? If this is the case and if everyone knew about it it would drive even more people away from €ircon. They really are the most useless company on the face of the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/me resident expert, I think not.

In plain English there is a difference between a WIRE PAIR and a LINE ....which were once the same.

A splitter ( DACS or PAIRGAIN) will allow 2 ANALOG lines over one WIRE.

You cannot run ADSL or ISDN over a split wire. If you tried to upgrade your second LINE to ISDN then a second WIRE would be needed.

Other posters said that these can magically disappear if requested....because you either ordered ISDN or a neighbour did which involved the removal of a splitter....especially on housing estates.

The previously posted link to Eircom shows that EIRCOM AGREED to STOP doing this in April 2002. Your were split post April 2002

You should complain to the ODTR based on the following.

1. YOU had a second line installed in order that you could have ESAT ADSL or similar. You informed the Eircom sales droid of this when ordering the second line by saying

"I want a second line in me house for ESAT ADSL"

2. Therefore EIRCOM may not split your line according to the copper loop management plan in the linked PDF.

3. Therefore EIRCOM have broken the agreement in that document. This is actionable anti-competitive (monopolistic) behaviour through an ODTR complaint on their website.

It is probably thrue in addition that!

4. The EIRCOM staff probably admitted (with the benefit of mature reflection) that they would not have split your line if you hadn't mentioned ESAT when ordering it.

That is VERY VERY naughty of them.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Kennet, on behalf of EVERYONE on this forum, i urge you to follow this up. Eircon have really fcuked with you on this one. Contact the ODTR and Contact Eircom witht the suggestions listed above. It cant hurt, and you never know where it might lead (connect at 56k rates at the least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

DO IT KENNETT

Dustaz is right (as always, him being a mod and all)

I am glad that Viking and Muck were able to fill in the gaps. Yours is a clear cut case. They should not have split the line. The should fix it. The only way Eircom will ever treat their customers like CUSTOMERS is if we answer back. You have right on your side and you have everything to gain.

GO FOR IT MAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Just on a note of ISDN. From what I remember when I got mine. when you ask them to upgrade your line (PSDN) They then run a test to see if you are the only person on the line. If so then they change what port your on. On the exchange they change it to a IDSN port. This is what they mean by being able to give you a ISDN line (that there are ports) and in fairness, you would be paying just as much to have ISDN as you would two PSDN lines. The ISDN would be a higer quilty and give you 64K connects on one line or 128 on the two... this is an absolute as the lines are digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Its cheaper than 2 seperate lines anyway.
    Then you will get the full 64Kbits and you can go halfs on the line rental with your mother, she will end up paying less than before in rent. half the rent on 1 ISDN line is less than 1 Analog line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by bricks
    Its cheaper than 2 seperate lines anyway.
    Then you will get the full 64Kbits and you can go halfs on the line rental with your mother, she will end up paying less than before in rent. half the rent on 1 ISDN line is less than 1 Analog line.

It is indeed actually cheaper to have ISDN than to have two PSTN(not PSDN sutty :) *) lines. Ok its not huge but there is a margin.

As said previously they have to give you a fresh copper pair if you wish to move to another provider. i recently had a new line installed here and eircom were going to split but i iterated that I'm moving to a new telephony carrier so they had to bring in a new line with a fresh copper pair in it.

* Public Services Telephone Network (or commonly called POTS, plain old telephone system)

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

see This thread on the April 200 2 regulations

Once again, thanks for all your help guys, and believe me I will be following this up.

I just visited the otdr site just now, and i can't load it up at the moment. I'll try again later.

Edit: Erm... wrong way to spell odtr heh... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Does anyone know off hand can you ring up and just ask eircom to do a test to see if your line has a dac's on it.

You can actually look at the connection when you have dialed up (the 2 green computer screens that flash). double-click on those and it gives you info. if you're connected at 28,000 bps, or less, it's nearly almost certain you have a splitter, unless you happen to be in a crappy area.

or, just trace the phone line to see if you get this box:

http://www.emulation-storm.com/other/splitter.jpg

That's the netsplitter that was installed here.

Hi Kennett
    Not using dial-up at the moment as I have use of adsl but as regard looking for the box we are in a new housing estate and everything is under ground.Could you repost the pics anyhow as they did not work first time
    Cheers

I actually posted the link before the picture :o

The picture should work now, but if it doesn't, I'll look into it.

Btw, if you have ADSL in your house, you can't have a line splitter, for reasons listed elsewhere in this thread.

Btw, what county are you in, may I ask?

Thats a hell of a box,you would think in this day and age it could be a lot smaller.As regards the adsl it is actually in the mothers place.I am over in Ashbourne Co.Meath and as of yet the exchange has not been up-graded,with any luck maybe the first quarter of next year.IT is a bit scary regarding how long the whole role out of adsl is taking as I got the mothers place put on the trials back in Dec 01.
    As the lads were saying in earlier post you have a very strong case to appeal having that splitter in the house and even you don't go down that route from a money point of view it makes more sence to get a isdn line in

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    it makes more sence to get a isdn line in

I'm a bit torn about getting one... On the one hand it is better for data, on the other hand it is techically no better than PTSN/56k.

Unfortunately for me, my mum doesn't want ISDN, as it means we're back to sharing a line again, and I want UTV, while she wants to stay with Eircom. So, unless there are 2 different numbers on ISDN, this is a no-go.

And on the subject on living in Meath... Hmm, that's not too far away from where I am, I live in Kildare myself, very near Naas town, which is basically up the road from me.

Unless I am mistaken the last time I looked into isdn you get to seperate 64k lines.The first one is usually your original number and the second is a number close to it but not guaranteed.While you and your mum would have to split the cost of line rental down the middle I am nearly sure you can tell utv what number(ie:line 1 or 2)you want to select for the "flat rate internet package" which if correct means you are left paying €30 to utv per month and your mum has the other line for herself

• Advertisement

Perhaps if I told my mum that, she might listen... Thanks for the info, btw. Only probblem is, it'll cost me more money to downgrade when ADSL comes in :/

Advertisement