Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my new phone line today..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

As regard costing you more money they have you by the short and curly's because you have already paid to get that crappy second line in and they will probally charge you again to upgrade it to isdn.IF you get any sort of response from the odtr you might get a refund for the second pstn line they put in and only have to pay to get it up-graded and in the long run your isdn line should have a better chance of passing the adsl test if you are with range of your exchange.I found this in the FAQ section of eircom's isdn

"Can I get separate bills for my two phone numbers?"

"No. But you can get a free itemised bill by registering with eircom.ie."

Which would mean that it should clearly show your utv usage and you mums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    IF you get any sort of response from the odtr you might get a refund for the second pstn line they put in and only have to pay to get it up-graded and in the long run your isdn line should have a better chance of passing the adsl test if you are with range of your exchange.

In relation to this, I'm technically right up the road from the auto exchange (probably explains why I used to have connection rates of 54.6kbps). And on another not, I'm concerned about "IF you get any sort of response from the odtr you might get a refund for the second pstn line they put in" Would this mean I mightn't get a response from them, and if so, where should I take it to next?
    "Can I get separate bills for my two phone numbers?"

"No. But you can get a free itemised bill by registering with eircom.ie."

Which would mean that it should clearly show your utv usage and you mums

That's reassuring, I'll have to show her this part. I'm saving the thread locally so she can see, it's too important to leave online.

Thanks again

I think from what the lads have said in earlier posts you paid for something you did not get(ie:you paid for a second line and from what Muck mention regarding the bill of April 02 making it illegal to put a splitter on any new line)IF they had any sence they would only be to happy to upgraded you and give you back the difference
    Second pstn line =€129.99
    Upgrade to isdn =€119.99

Anyhows best of luck,I am off to my bed

Good night, and thanks for your help, it's much appreciated :)

Update on the situation:

I had a discussion about this at one of the loacl electonics shops, and the guy I talked to said I should get it fixed. I'll be preparing a few things on sunday, to call up the concerned parties on Monday, and/or Tuesday

• Advertisement

You should be in your rights,so stick it to them
    Good luck

Thanks, I have a feeling I'll be needing it...

Btw, since I'm sure this will probably be an interesting topic, I will most likely take down notes of everything thast goes on, and post them in either this thread, or a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kennett
    I will most likely take down notes of everything thast goes on, and post them in either this thread, or a new one...

Oh, please do. Interesting is the word.

All I need to do now is make a list of what I have to do, and I'm away and a hack...

As a followup to the new phone line post, I'm going to be phoning up Eircom and the ODTR about this and since I am going to be summurising what both have said, I was wondering if any of you guys had any questions I shouls ask to either Eircom or the ODTR on this issue?

I'll also be looking at the previous thread to see if there are anything that can be adapted to questions, but sometimes the way the question is worded, it might be taken the wrong way, so I want to ensure that I get the right questions across and thus making sure that I can't be fobbed off.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Advertisement

So far, what I've come up with to register a complaint with the ODTR is:

1. The line isn't what I wanted
    2. There is a line splitter installed in the house, which shouldn't be there.
    3. This will not let me get Esat DSL when it comes in (not sure if I mentioned Esat DSL, or any DSL at all)

On the Eircom front, I'll be asking them

1. If Eircom can offer me ISDN, why can't they offer me a full phone line, even when they knew the capacity here was maxed out?
    2. I will most likely ask them what the difference between ISDN and a line splitter is, to see how they answer it (I'm sure there will be an interesting response)
    3. I will also ask them why the installed a line splitter, dispite it being illegal, and if they attempt to dodge the question, I will demand an answer.
    4. I will ask them if they can change it to a full line, and if it isn't possible, why not?

*Note: I'm basing the questions on what info I got from this thread.

PS: who should I go to first about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

go to the odtr

write, dont phone
    keep it simple
    stick to the facts

stick to the first two points on the first list. the third is conjecture. the second list is better kept in reserve for now.

Basically, your complaint is: you didn't get what you required/ordered. the service delivered is inadequate. it is a cause of grave inconvenience etc etc. you need it remidied as a matter of urgency. post or pm me with a draft if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kennett,

Have you considered talking over your problem with your local - Citizens Information Centre [CIC] as listed in all telephone directories.

They are well used too acting as independent arbitrators in "Consumer law issues" and their service is FREE & Confidential too members of the public? - Why have a dog & bark yourself, especially when the CIC is a Government sponsored service that can not be fobbed off by the likes of Eircom!.

Good luck.

Yours,

paddy20;)

De Rebel: Thanks for the suggestion of writing the complaint to the ODTR. I'll be sure to post up a draft when I start writing up one :)

Paddy20: I actually never thought of that idea. I'll be sure to to check out more info on this avenue... As far as I know, there is a Citizens Advice Berau (sp?) near where I live, if that's the same thing? Thanks to you for your suggestion as well :)

I'll be sure to keep everyone here posted on developments to do with the ODTR and what the CAB/CIC say...

Advertisement