Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crowe debut appraisal

• 21-11-2002 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Crowe caught his volley well, but it was straight at goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis.

Two minutes later, Gary Doherty nodded down in the box for the lively Lee Carsley and, although the Everton man missed his shot, Crowe retrieved the ball and was unlucky to see his shot on the turn just creep past the far post.
    Sky Sports.

Glen Crowe gave a hint of the form Bohemians fans have been wathching for seasons, and worked a neat one-two with Lee Carsley, and was clean through only to hear the whistle blown for a late foul on Carsley.

Crowe almost scored with a volley well gathered by Greek keeper.

The ball dropped for Crowe who swiveled and sent a shot just wide of the upright.

Crowe and Doherty were isolated.

Bringing on Delap for Crowe was hardly the spark the game needed.
    Soccercentral

It was Crowe who created the best early impression

Glenn Crowe almost broke the deadlock shortly before the ten-minute mark but his snatched shot sailed the wrong side of Nikopolidis' post.
    RTE

sent in a good cross for Crowe, who hit his volley at the goalkeeper.

The ball was retrieved by Crowe who did well to hit a shot on the turn, which crept just past the far post.

A tired looking Crowe was replaced by Southampton's Rory Delap with four minutes remaining, but the youngster had done little wrong.
    football365

striker Crowe had the two best chances of the opening period.

He saw a seventh-minute volley saved by goalkeeper Antonios Nikopolidis and four minutes later sent a shot on the turn narrowly wide.
    BBC

Greece have also made a mixed start to their EURO 2004™ campaign with one win and two defeats, and found themselves under pressure early on when Crowe twice went close in the first eleven minutes, a volley that forced goalkeeper Antonios Nikopolidis to make a save followed by a shot narrowly wide.
    UEFA

We could have been forgiven for expecting a lively encounter after an intriguing first ten minutes, when Glen Crowe twice went close to nabbing a goal on his international debut

Two minutes later the Bohemians striker spun onto a loose ball but dragged his low shot just wide of the far post.

He would not get another sniff, and was unable to become the first home-based player to score for Ireland since Ray Treacy of Shamrock Rovers managed the feat against Turkey in 1978. Whether right or wrong, it is doubtful whether Crowe will get another chance to end that drought.
    eleven a side

But Ireland also threatened on several occasions with Bohemians debutant Glen Crowe looking particularly dangerous as twice he went close to scoring in the first half which Ireland had the better of.

In the opening eight minutes Crowe went close on two occasions

two minutes later, the striker fired agonisingly wide from 12 yards after a Gary Doherty cross found it's way to him on the back post via Lee Carsley.
    FAI

I know its only a friendly, but he did NOTHING WRONG.
    I think the lad done well, he didn't set the world on fire but he did no worse than anyone else and I personally see no reason for him to be omitted from the Scotland game squad.

As stats go, he had two shots on goal, one on target one slightly off but both were difficult chances and he did very well to get the first one under control.

The supply to the front men was dismal, Crowe and Doherty worked hard but there was no width. I got the impression McPhail thinks he can smell his own **** as he never got down the by-line or helped Dunne defensively - while Healy tried almost too hard to impress. Holland was anonymous as usual while Carsley (whom I have never been keen on) was useful in winning a number of tackles.

Crowe can hold his head high, he done well with limited help, its a pity he didn't score early as his confidence would've been sky high - its also a pity Houlihan didn't come on to give the team some much needed width.

Well Done Glen, a proud night for all Bohs and indeed EL fans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Let's see. Greece were crap and Ireland were crap and Givens should be locked away for crimes against football. Crowe should have felt well at home, as the standard of football was worse than many Eircom League games. Roll on death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I also think he did well, however, he may as well not have been there in the second half, as nobody was providing any work for the front two. A dire, dire, dire dismal game akin only to having all your teeth pulled without anesthetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

After the match the only thought I had was that I wanted those two hours of my life back ... lol ... that was pure and utter crap!

After his performance as manager over the last week or so, I reckon the FAI should sack Givens as from his U21 role. The game was shouting for subsitutions, so what does Givens do ...... he brings on Delap after 85 minutes and puts him up front!!! lol .... I've nothing against Delap, but hes hardly going to set the game alight in 5 minutes!

He should have brought on Partidge. At least he might have been able to put in a couple of crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I couldn't believe that he made hardly any substitute's. It must be a pain in the a**e for players like Partridge who are now playing first team football and who got called up to join the squad in Athens thinking it's their big chance to impress and then only keep the bench warm.

Did you hear the Sky Sports commentator who insulted all Pats. and Shels fans by saying that Bohs did the double last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

oh my god how bad was that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Ok come on guys, I watched the match, it was dire, it was not in any way enjoyable, but seriously, what did you expect?

It was a friendly with Greece! We were missing most of our first team. I, for one, never expected to see any first class football.

With all the withdrawls from the squad I saw it as more of a chance to give the back 4 a good run out and IMHO Richard Dunne came up trumps!

/Kone

PS: I can't really see Glenn Crowe starting for Ireland again. Not once Keane and Morrison are 'fit'! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Missed the game ,was in work.

Internet reckons Crowe did well tho from what i gather the supply wasnt there for him or Doherty.

Were Ireland that bad like you have 2 big front players were they not whomping long balls at them or just inept.

The game against Scotland i reckon he be in the squad but its in Scotland ,Hampden 50,000 Irish and Scottish Nutters.
    I think the big game players will be fit for that.

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yeah the scotland game is gonna be good can't wait for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah I can't see there being too many feigned injuries by the time the Scotland game comes round.
    Although as usual the clubs won't be keen to let the players go, so we can't be sure.

And Crowe returned to Ireland and went all the way up to Derry last night and turned in a masterclass performance, including converting a peno. He could teach some people a thing or two about dedication and being grateful for having the honour of playing for your country (or your Granny's country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

He done well actually, he surprised me. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Shame Osam wasnt called up to replace keane at the WC he would have 0wned raul and his buddies :(

Oh well.

Tho i didnt see the match i am foookin delighted he played and played well.
    Shame he didnt score as unlike the Nationwide Super Strikers we usually have upfront Crowe prolly wont get another chance (playing in LOI)

Hopefully some ****e english team will try and buy him and Bohs will em to fook off (be a nice change for LOI)

kdjaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by ciano
    After his performance as manager over the last week or so, I reckon the FAI should sack Givens as from his U21 role. The game was shouting for subsitutions, so what does Givens do ...... he brings on Delap after 85 minutes and puts him up front!!! lol .... I've nothing against Delap, but hes hardly going to set the game alight in 5 minutes!
    Eh, maybe it had something to do with the fact that Crowe was knackered and needed to get off the pitch? Starting on wednesday was a big step up for him and I was suprised he lasted as long as he did.

Givens was playing deliberately playing an extremely cagey match and I'm sure would have kept the same 11 for the entire match if he could have. He was right to do so as the Greeks were better than us and IMHO should have won the match if anyone deserved to win it.

The fact that you would determine Givens incompetant as U21 manager based on the match in Athens leads me to believe that you know nothing about football other than how to fill out your fantasy football coupon whilst changing the channel between Sky Sports 1 and 2.

Reading yesterdays Star there is an article about Bohs plans for Crowe and one line sticks out.

"we are hopeful we can take him into schools in the area and show kids its possible to play for Ireland and an Irish club at same time".

Fookin class :D

KdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah they have the right idea. Hopefully we can make some new fans from the publicity.

Advertisement