Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 changes + DVD region code is locked - who can undo it

Options
  • 21-11-2002 6:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Okay you all know of it i presume, im speaking about xp here - don't know about past platforms, you have 5 chances to turn your dvd player to different regions,

and they say that after 5 changes it becomes permanetly locked to that setting, even if you extract the dvd drive and put it back in place or change the hard drive etc...

has anyone figured out how to change it , can it be done

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The 5 changes have nothing to do with Xp they are set in the bios of the drive. Depending on your drive model you may well be able to get an altered bios to solve it.

Try here http://www.firmware.fr.st/

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

If your DVD player is software based you could use some tweaking software like DVD Genuie which will reset your DVD region change count i.e. sets it so it thinks you've never changed the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

get a firmware flash for your drive and get some region free software for your OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

DVD Genie is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

what a wonderful tool , got it last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Not all are locked into the firmware....

Example:
    Gateway shipped lots of em (round 2000-2001) that the regios nettings were written in a Hex entry in the system registry. If you ran out of changes all you needed to do was replace the Hex Value with the corresponding value for whatever region. I cant remember exactly what it was, but I'm sure Google would yeild a couple of results.

DVD Genie works well too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

DVD genie will bypass software region-counters only.

you will need to flash your dvd drive's bios to remove RPC2. Typically the firmware upgrade will actually downgrade the drive to RPC1, which whilst recognising regions, doesn't keep track of how many times you change regions.

The likes of DVD-genie can then scan the drive on start-up, and then change the region for you without any fear of region counting.

Megalome's posted link is good for firmware updates. That's where I got mine (LG 16x DVD drive).

Also, dvd.box.sk has some useful info and links too.

Advertisement