Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STD clinics ?

• 21-11-2002 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me where these clinics are located in Dublin and whe procedure is ? Do i need an appointment ? How much will it cost ? How long before you get your results ?

Please can someone answer these questions or at least point me in the right direction.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Go see your doctor. They will point you to the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

James' Hospital does tests, that are free for the public. You have to book an appointment a month in advance. For women there's the Well Woman Centre also (I think).

The whole thing will take about three hours, where they will do a physical exam, as well as take a swab and blood/urine samples. If you suspect you have something, you'll be given an oportunity to lalert them and they'll check for you.

You'll get most results straight away, but results for the biggies (HIV, Hepititus B & Syphillis) take about a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As far as I know, St James' has a drop-in centre, you can go to the GUM clinic on two afternoons a week without any appointment and you can use a fake name (anyway the only call you by initials). They're really nice, and there's NO sense of judging going on. You'd be surprised they cross-section of society that are there. Call the GUM (Guino Urnery Medicine or something like that) clinic to find out the days/times.

I wouldn't want to go to my own (family) doctor about any of this but you MUST get it checked out, most STDs get worse if left alone, the symtoms may go away but the infection is still messing with your body and you might pass whatever it is on.

For anyone who is gay there is a drop-in clinic in Baggot st hospital where you can get your tests done (and get loads of free condoms and lube, save a fortune - I have straight friends who drop in just for the lube and rubbers).

And finally, just GO. Worrying about it is worse than going.

Good luck!

PS - It's free!!!!! (or it least it was a few years ago when I picked something nasty up :)

Advertisement