Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycott

Options
  • 21-11-2002 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

========================================

On December the 2nd this year there will a boycott by the consumers of Ireland in protest at the excessive and unjust prices that are being charged to the Irish consumer. A similar protest was organised in Greece this year on the 3rd September where consumers avoided all shops, pubs and restaurants etc. in protest at the prices that were being charged.

The European commissioner for consumer affairs (an Irish man David Byrne) and the Irish Government have both being entirely passive in regards to this issue when a lot of people feel something could have been done. Since the Euro change over Ireland has purportedly leap-frogged France and Germany to become the second most expensive country in the euro-zone after Finland. This contention is supported by several leading companies and organisations including Forfas and Price Waterhouse Coopers.

Please advise those you know to support the boycott. The boycott is set to last for one day as in Greece.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

It will never work. There are too many people making so much money, and everyone would be doing that if they could.

It would be different if there was just one area in which we were being ripped off, but its accross all society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'll heartily endorse this event/product :)

Its got a chance, let the word spread, and it will be notcied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 priceprotest

Just a flying visit from the Price Protest Team. Please Support our boycott and don't buy anything on the 2nd of December - it won't cost you anything afterall!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

From the Indo:

Price boycott group remain publicity shy

07:46 Wednesday November 27th 2002

The 'Price Protest Group', which is trying to organise a mass price-protest next month, are remaining very shy of publicity and won't reveal who they are. Thousands of consumers have received emails over the past week, urging them to boycott pubs, shops and restaurants on December 2nd - as part of Ireland's first ever 'price boycott'. The group, who are refusing to be interviewed by journalists, are proposing a one-day boycott like the one seen in Greece last summer - and are rallying like minded people to support the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The reason this is important is because coupled with inflation and profiteering, the Irish consumer is bearing the brunt at a time when wages are not rising to meet the demand. It's a matter of protecting the citizen and the consumer.

Check out the link in my sig.
    Typedef.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

So, we stock up on the 1st instead of shopping on the 2nd? An absolute waste of time.
    I agree.. apart from it being a waste of time, it's very inconvenient. It means for those of us who are out all day..carrying around an entire days food/drink.., which isnt gonna stay fresh.. anyway I for one am not going to avoid buying anything.. and i guarantee you shops around town will be as packed as they usually are on monday because:
    Apart from this board I wouldn't have even heard about it.. I just told my mam after reading this and she hasn't heard anything either

Advertisement