Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing OS

Options
  • 21-11-2002 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get an OS installed on a comp? My comp wont reinstall windows. Will a repair company load windows for me? If So what would the cost be?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why won't it reinstall? What kinds of error messages do you get? You could bring it into compustore or sumfink, but they'll charge you ridiculous amounts of money for something that's prolly just a setting switch away...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have a old packard bell which comes with 2 cds and a 3.5 master floppy. Win 95 osr2

You start the comp with floppy and cd 1 and it formats and then copies files to the hard disk. Then it is supposed to tell you to insert disc 2. Then cd door opens.

Problem is that the message does not appear and the comp just hangs. Turning off the power and starting up again just causes the process to repeat.

Where do I go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

does it have to be 95 on the machine ? Try and get you hands on a 98 cd and boot from it and instal it that way.

What I do is to upgrade it to win 98 right after installing win 95.
    I only have the upgrade win98 disc. Dont know where to get a full win 98 disc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What I do is to upgrade it to win 98 right after installing win 95. I only have the upgrade win98 disc. Dont know where to get a full win 98 disc.

Last I looked, they were the same thing.

adam

• Advertisement

There is a difference. I paid $99 for my upgrade cd where the full version costs $200

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Same thing... install 98 from the cd and when it asks for the original os you are upgrading from, insert your 95 cd.. assuming you have one and not just an image restore cd...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

*cough* just borrow someones 98 Disc and use your own serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yikes I have an old copy of 98 that we don't use anymore, it's yours for the taking, come to think of it I might hold onto it for the odd game of frisbee seeing as the dog keeps chewing on that and it doesn't fly properly anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by SyxPak
    *cough* just borrow someones 98 Disc and use your own serial number.

A full version cd won't accept an upgrade serial number. As Saruman said, Windows will ask for you to insert a previous Windows OS CD as proof of upgrade eligibility. At the point, just put in your Win95 CD and it should fire on ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement