Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Activism

• 21-11-2002 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Like the new banner ads. It got me thinking -- since there are now effectively three pressure groups on Boards.ie, how about making a dedicated section under Community for them? Or better still, under Society?

Boards.ie has great potential to become a hub for Internet activism, I think this - and the ads, of course - might be a a way to push it along a little.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The kittencake board can almost be construed so as to fit in to this category. We do hope that our arch-enemy's the "Puppypie" forum will not be notched into it too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ah for ****s sake Gordon, yes the kittencake joke is funny but you are turning into a bigger spammer than Azeziel right now.

By the way Adam its a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

good idea, it might encourage other pressure groups to request boards if they see the forums already hosted. where they are is a bit too hidden. even i didnt know about the MIJAG board.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats interesting but I'm only interested in promoting *RESPONSIBLE* activism like Mijag and IOFFL. People who think
    activism involves kicking in your local McDonalds window really peeve me.

Could be a good idea alright!

DeV.
    ps: let the kittencake thing go... its not working ... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I think Gordon raises an interesting point - though I'm not sure what the answer is.

Would we be able to handle for example:
    "right to life" and
    "right to choose"

pressure groups side by side if Boards.ie became a home for campaigns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Would we be able to handle for example:
    "right to life" and
    "right to choose"

And why not ? So long as said posting conformed to criteria x, y & z, mostly pertaining to obscenity and namecalling ?

blah, blah, product .. whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    Thats interesting but I'm only interested in promoting *RESPONSIBLE* activism
    Drats and fiddlesticks! Foiled again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

How about a Community category called Campaigns?

J.
    --

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thats interesting but I'm only interested in promoting *RESPONSIBLE* activism like Mijag and IOFFL.

Of course.

People who think activism involves kicking in your local McDonalds window really peeve me.

I share your peeve. So to speak.

I like Activism, but whatever, it's the principle that counts.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Don't do it yellum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Excellant idea Dahamsta.

The current pressure groups on boards seem to be very sensible and active in the right ways.

As for kittencake, people have been banned from boards for less.

:)

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Like the new banner ads. It got me thinking -- since there are now effectively three pressure groups on Boards.ie, how about making a dedicated section under Community for them?
    Who or what are these pressure groups?

In the community section
    Mijag
    Ireland Offline
    Euro Price hikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Id love to see the pressure groups getting moved up a level to sit under the community section rather than community>public.

As i said before Id hate to see these boards being moved into the main body of boards as they do repepresent something slightly different to the main boards. These community boards represent one of the real contrinutions boards.ie has made to the irish internet scene - providing a home for real communitys with an agenda with no strings attached. I think the members and contributers to these groups owe a great debt to boards.ie for this.

[sly dig]
    Heh, after all, its a damn sight better than "inventing" a spoof story about e-mail taxes representing your websites contribution to society
    [/sly dig]

Yeah, I think an affirmative on this, going forward, thinking out of the box™.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Typedef, is your surname brent?:)

Err sure... why not?

Id love to see the pressure groups getting moved up a level to sit under the community section rather than community>public.

[ that's what i meant ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think its a good idea, we're right in the middle of the move at the moment but I'll check with Regi and Cloud and make sure it doesnt mess with anything they are doing. Also I have to check with the moderators of the forums to make sure they are happy to be put under such a heading.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Cloud

J.
    --

Sounds good to me... either that or "Pressure Groups".

Perhaps:

boards.ie/vbulletin > Community > Community Activism > XXXXXX

Or how about a section on the front page of boards.ie

.ie. near the "Sections" place on the left (activism would be above Admin). Or as its own little person holding a placquard as in "afterhours" "sport" "technology".

In fact those guys seem a wee bit outdated as in
    Afterhours
    sport
    Work
    Technology
    For sale

...dont seem to be the main areas of boards. What seems more appropriate is
    Afterhours
    Society
    Games
    Classifieds
    Admin

etc.

or maybe not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Gordon
    In fact those guys seem a wee bit outdated as in

maybe you could use one of the boardsladies freak did a while back. theres alot more lady folk on boards now than there was even when i joined (tho the number is still miniscule)

we've been meaning to redesign the front page for a while now (Daz even did a nice one) but I havent had a spare second to think about what I really want on it.

Need to talk to Freak too, it just wouldnt be boards without his stunning artwork...

DeV.

I suggested to the Dublin Cycling Campaign that they join up ... perhaps if I can now find the Bus Users Group or whoever they are, we could have a transport board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I can see it now Victor...

<CIE Person> I wish those BUGs would stop bugging me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mumblemumblemumblekittencakemumblemumblemumblesnagginfraggin

Alternative suggestion for group title: Whinging Loonies

/me ducks

<dahamsta smites amp from on high>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thought I posted here already (guess not)

Sounds like a really good idea. Any of the three (seriously) proposed names (sorry amp) sounds good - I like Activism (for future expansion) or Pressure Groups myself.

Originally posted by Victor
    Bus Users Group or whoever they are
    Apparently the Transport User's Group, but the just don't register on the net much (one press statement).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement