Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Windows 2000

Options
  • 21-11-2002 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I want to Install windows 2000 on my laptop and I have 98 on there at the moment ........... Is there anything i should worry about when installing the new OS like loosing all the info on my PC .

Any help will be appraicated as I have my life on there I know I can back up but I still cant take the chance and want to get away from 98 .

Cheers Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Back up now ... if its that important , what if you have a hard drive failure ???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I agree with Darth Homer Backup all your essential files. when upgrading to win2000 it's better to do a clean install rather then an upgrade from 98. Before you wipe your system I recommend downloading the w2k drivers for your video and sound card and saving them along with your other backups just in case w2k doesn't pick them up. (This can happen esp on oldish laptops with not so well know display adaptors) either way at least you'll have the most recent drivers available.
    You might also have to update your Bios as well so check the manufacturers website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Before you wipe your system I recommend downloading the w2k drivers for your video and sound card and saving them along with your other backups just in case w2k doesn't pick them up. either way at least you'll have the most recent drivers available.

And your modem drivers!! It's really frustrating to realise that you can't download them afterwards, cause of course you need them first :rolleyes:

Advertisement