Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re partitioning hard disk

Options
  • 21-11-2002 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 hard disks on my comp right now.

I have a 2GB C: master and a 15GB slave which is partitioned into 2GB sectors. How do I remove all these small bits and make one big disk.

Thanks in advance

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

You could use Fdisk in dos. Or use patition magic (much easier).
    If you dont know how to use fdisk post back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks I would like some help with fdisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just remember 007, you will loose all date using Fdisk... so if you are looking to keep all your stuff and just merge the partitions then Partition magic or something like that is what you will need to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Saruman
    Just remember 007, you will loose all date using Fdisk... so if you are looking to keep all your stuff and just merge the partitions then Partition magic or something like that is what you will need to get.

Plan is to merge partitions and then format. I will then make it the master and install windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yar time to do some reading at www.fdisk.com or get your hand on partition magic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Plan is to merge partitions and then format. I will then make it the master and install windows.

If you're using an NT OS (NT4/2000/XP), then you can use the Disk Management Panel to delete all the partitions (with permanent data loss - though it seems you don't mind that) and create one big one.

Also if you're installing Windows 2000 (I don't have XP, so I'm not sure of the install routine, but I'm sure it's similiar enough) it will allow you to configure the hard drive partitions during install (unplug the small drive first if you want to make sure you're not destroying the data on it), and you can delete all the partitions there and create one new one, without having to muck around before installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Also if you're installing Windows 2000 (I don't have XP, so I'm not sure of the install routine, but I'm sure it's similiar enough)

XP does as well.

Microsoft walkthrough for fdisk here

Advertisement