Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classics TV

• 21-11-2002 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

I noticed this at #247, but every time I go on to the channel, I just get a blue screen. Anyone else getting this problem?
    Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

nope
    its fine for me
    To Kill a Mocking Bird was on last night, looked like one of those old films they showed you in school if you were doing the book/play/whatever for the leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ijc

Does anyone else notice the poor picture quality on Classics tv?
    Its like they bought some worn out vhs copies from a car boot sale and decided to broadcast them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ijc
    Does anyone else notice the poor picture quality on Classics tv?
    Its like they bought some worn out vhs copies from a car boot sale and decided to broadcast them

Picture quality is pretty terrible - it's like BEN all over again. I haven't watched it much at all so far but they're showing the Third Man soon - I'll watch it to compare the pic quality to Film4's showing of it on their freebie weekend (that way I'll have a sound basis for a proper rant:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by sceptre
    Picture quality is pretty terrible - it's like BEN all over again. I haven't watched it much at all so far but they're showing the Third Man soon - I'll watch it to compare the pic quality to Film4's showing of it on their freebie weekend (that way I'll have a sound basis for a proper rant:D)
    Not great. But watchable. BEN, Life and HCN (now gone) often worse.

It is soft like captured at 1/4 frame from VHS. My own video capture from VHS and 8mm analog tape is better. But I use 720 x 576 and deinterlace with a "smart" deinterlacer. Then I resample to 480 x 576 for SVCD. Result is better than most of the Budget Channels on Sky.

It a bit like watching VCD (384 x 288 @ CBR MPEG1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

whooooooooooooosh! went that post flying over my head:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Broadcast PAL, full frame digitised = 768 x 576 pixels
    Broadcast NTSC or Standard VGA = 640 x480
    PAL DVD = 720 x 576
    NTSC DVD = 720 x 480
    Some PAL DV systems = 704 x 576
    SVCD = 480 x 576 (PAL)
    (since DVD is usually stretched to 16:9 and SVCD is usually 4:3 the percieved quality at same screen height is about the same).

Web camera or budget PVR = 320 x 240 NTSC or 384 x 288 PAL, which is 1/4 frame or roughly original VCD. Often erronously called VHS resolution. But a decent VHS is better and always has 480 lines (NTSC) or 576 lines (PAL, SECAM).

Classics TV looks like it is all stored on a PC and films captured using a cheap Web TV type interface.

Advertisement