Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jokers & Hoaxers hijacking Concer premium SMS appeal

• 21-11-2002 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

There are emails going around at the moment that you might get off your friends saying:

"Send: Give 2. to 57775 for ten euro free credit"
    or
    "Text the words ( Give 2 ) dont use brackets , to 57775 . Then sit back & laugh !"

these "friends" or yours are actually trying to con ye into donating €2 to a legitimate Concern campaign.

There now is a reply that tells you:
    "GIVE 2 is a Concern Charity appeal. If u wish to donate €2.00 by text, pls txt GIVE 2E and send to 57775 (ie don't press ''reply''). Visit Concern.ie Thanks."

if you do want to donate to a good cause then follow the instructions.
    You can also donate €6 and €10

but if ye start getting above hoax email telling you to send "give 2e" to 57775, or 6e or 10e , its the same thing.

If ure prepaid the €2 is taken out of your credit and if your on monthly bill its added onto your bill.

if ye think thats funny and decide to pull one over yer mates, remember you are sabotaging a honest attempt by concern for badly need funds and are harming their future campaigns by being a smart ass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I wonder how that would work when using these free text things like O2 and ICQ. Presumably nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

because its Mobile Terminating billing (MT), you may send the text for free but you are billed for the reply txt message that you receive on your handset, unless its the warning message for which you will be billed nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh, of course. D'oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seating

does anyone know where to find information about setting up one of those numbers myself ? i saw something on http://www.acoweb.ie/ , but i'd like my own number.

and for those people that are trying to con people , i don't have much or any respect for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

give the corinthian a shout here on boards, or ask in the wireless forum - he does that sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I got a text with this a few weeks back now.I was a bit suspicious as it claimed to be from O2 despite the fact it didnt display the name O2 in the ID(displayed normal phone number).I dunno who sent it-Concern perhaps?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Methinks these numbers really need control by the premium numbers regulator. It should be "Give Concern 2E" NOT "Give 2E". Of course, one wonders what the commissions are like on these things for the SMS companies.

Advertisement